EuropeFranceNice

Nice is not nice...

Nice Travel Blog

looking down on Nice

I would like to dispute all those people out there who say Nice is nice.  Which is quite disappointing, because "the French Riviera" sounds so enticing.  Now let me explain why…

I arrived in Nice on Wednesday night, and the flashing neon lights & gaudy Chinese restaurants & lit-up palm trees were all something of a sudden shock transition from the untouched beauty of the Swiss Alps.

Now there is apparently a really great hostel just out of the city centre, which I would've loved to stay at, except as it was dark when I arrived, I didn't really want to navigate buses & bus-stops & my hurriedly scribbled map.

hanging out on the beach
  So I went for the HI hostel not far from the station - it at least confirmed my opinion that Hostelling International hostels in Europe generally suck.  It was fine really - the usual HI slightly sterile, no real lounge area, all fairly basic - but it seems that all the other people staying there were slightly crazy.  I did talk to one normal American guy over breakfast, but otherwise there were strange-looking older people who seemingly lived there.  The first night there was a woman in my room who just kept muttering the whole time, then the second night there was a woman who talked at me for close to an hour about how terrible France is & it's completely lawless & had ruined her life & she wished she never came - and then she moved on to multiple other topics without appearing to draw breath.  I even stood for about 20mins holding the door open, as I was trying to leave, but she just didn't stop.  Then this morning the muttering madlady checked back in to the room at about 7am.  I basically couldn't get out of there fast enough, and spent my whole train trip out of there feeling very agitated.

Anyway, Nice itself was nice enough, I guess.

Nice by night
  I spent my day there wandering along the beach & up on the scenic little hill above the city, and lay on the beach for a while soaking up some sun & listening to the Mediterranean wash over the pebbles.  Then I visited the Musee d'Art moderne et d'Art contemporain, which had some very interesting pieces (including an exhibition of Australian Aboriginal art, which slightly disoriented me) AND it was only €4 entry, which is a vast improvement on the €10-13 for all the museums in Italy.

So maybe if I'd stayed somewhere else, I wouldn't have found Nice quite so offensive, but in the end it's just not my kind of town.  I need to remind myself that I don't like flashy resort towns, filled with neon lights and hotels lining the beach.  In fact why does anybody like that?  Give me mountains, or a more natural beach any day (suddenly I want to go back to Switzerland.  Or Vermont.  Or Prince Edward Island.  Or Apollo Bay).

Nice