NOT hiking in the Swiss Alps

Interlaken Travel Blog

Interlaken
I left Venice, and spent a day on the train heading into Switzerland.  Even though it was getting dark as we travelled, things were looking fabulously promising with all the amazing Swiss mountains.  And then I woke up the next morning, and apparently the clouds had arrived.

Not to worry, I muse, I could do with a quiet day just relaxing, as I'm still recovering from my cold and have been on the move for a while.  So I took a wander around Interlaken (although I managed to walk down all the shopping streets during the precise time when they're all closed for lunch), and actually spent half the afternoon in the Interlaken emergency room - don't panic!  It wasn't an emergency at all, just a little infection that I finally decided needed more than antiseptic cream & a band-aid - but of course the only place for a traveller to find a doctor is @ the emergency room (all I can say is thank god for travel insurance!!)

I crossed my fingers for today, but if anything things were looking worse.  The clouds were creeping right down into Interlaken, and in the hostel breakfast room they have a tv showing live feed from the top of the mountains - the shot panning around on top of the Jungfrau was just a white screen (probably not worth the 170fr to get up there...)

So instead I spent quite some time becoming obsessed with the AEC Virtual Tally Room, and when I did venture out for a stroll around the rivers & lakes, the clouds & drizzle & the fact that I was not hiking in the Swiss Alps really couldn't get me down at all, because the there's a new government in Australia!!!

The clouds & mist & rain did actually get worse throughout the day, until you really would have no idea there were any mountains or hills nearby.  So I spent the afternoon at the pool & spa (free entry for guests of the town, since you have to pay visitor/accommodation tax) - finally justifying the inclusion of my bathing suit in my luggage.

It's frustrating that I won't get to see the whole reason for coming here, but whilst travelling it's always a gamble with the weather, and you just have to take it as it comes.
photo by: sherryshakarob