City of Water / Queen of the Adriatic / City of Bridges / The City of Light

Venice Travel Blog

children getting engulfed by pigeons

Next stop in Italia: Venezia.  I arrived on Monday afternoon & went out to explore - all the guidebooks say that everyone will get lost & maps are useless in Venice, so I just accepted this and started wandering.  I actually didn't really get lost, as there are lots of signs showing the way to some of the main locations, so I could always get back to the train station or Piazza San Marco.

Venice really is a unique city - all the tiny streets & canals & boats everywhere & high bridges… it's quite fascinating.  Yesterday I continued my exploring and spent some time at Piazza San Marco laughing at all the people and pigeons (I mean really, if you don't want the pigeons on you, you probably shouldn't stand in the middle of the square with a bag of birdseed…).

the Grand Canal
  They really are the most obese pigeons I have ever seen, and it's therefore surprising they move as fast as they do!  I also went into the Basilica di San Marco, which was quite beautiful, lots of gold and multiple domes along the roof.

I spent the afternoon at la Biennale di Venezia - the famous international art expo that happens every two years.  It just so happens that I was here for the last two days (it has been running for about five months).  They have two big locations (plus lots of other things happening around town) with a bunch of pavilions from different countries.  There were a lot of big installations and video pieces, and it was really interesting - if nothing else it was a nice change from all the religious & renaissance art!

Unfortunately over the last couple of days I've started to feel a little unwell & today it finally blossomed into a full-blown cold and really all I wanted to was stay in bed.

gondola traffic-jam
  But out I went & spent most of the day riding around on vaparetto (Venetian water buses).  I went across to the Lido & then out to Murano (the island famous for glass) - I didn't end up spending much time anywhere because I just didn't have enough energy for wandering around.  I also went to the second big exhibition venue of the Biennale, but I'm not sure I took much of it in.

So Venice has been very nice, and I do love any water-based city, it just would have been nice not to feel quite so horrible here!

children getting engulfed by pigeo…
children getting engulfed by pige…
photo by: asturjimmy