Windows of the World!!

World Travel Blog

Taken from

Word History: The source of our word window is a vivid metaphor. Window comes to us from the Scandinavian invaders and settlers of England in the early Middle Ages. Although we have no record of the exact word they gave us, it was related to Old Norse vindauga, "window," a compound made up of vindr, "wind," and auga, "eye," reflecting the fact that at one time windows contained no glass. The metaphor "wind eye" is of a type beloved by Norse and Old English poets and is called a kenning; other examples include oar-steed for "ship" and whale-road for "sea." Recently we have restored to the 800-year-old word window a touch of its poetic heritage, using it figuratively in such phrases as launch window, weather window, and window of opportunity or vulnerability.
And now some quotes:

“Friends are like windows through which you see out into the world and back into yourself... If you don't have friends you see much less than you otherwise might.”

“If God were living on earth, people would break His windows”

“Never have more children than you have car windows.”

“Our senses are indeed our doors and windows on this world, in a very real sense the key to the unlocking of meaning and the wellspring of creativity.”

“A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time.”

“A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is at home”

“Better keep yourself clean and bright. You are the window through which you must see the world.”

“I was born by Caesarean section, but you can't really tell... except that when I leave my house, I always go out the window.”

“Love is a piano dropped from a fourth story window, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside.”

“Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else.”

"Windows are a pane" - Vance, Travbuddy Extraordinaire

oldschoolbill says:
Very nice I look at all the pictures but got tired of smiling!!
Posted on: May 15, 2009
X_Drive says:
The only window you have missed is the "window to the soul"!! :D Great job!
Posted on: Apr 09, 2009
Travelbuddys says:
Were is windows Vista!!!???

hahahah lol lol!!