Loving the Cherry Blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens!

Brooklyn Travel Blog

Me and Cherry Blossoms

The New York Blog has been dormant for a while, not because I don’t have love for it, but rather, during the winter I am like a bear and try not to leave warm places if possible.  So this weekend I realized that spring was here and it was time!  Now it hasn’t been feeling like spring this May because we have been having unusually cool weather thanks to the Canadian air milling around the NE.  It won’t go away, though I still love the Canadians!

Now, I have always wanted to go to Japan to see the Cherry Blossoms as they are supposedly a sight to see!  Well, I think it is too late to make it this year and I just got back from Ireland and need to replenish my funds, so instead I opted to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens in you guessed it Brooklyn (go figure)!

A group of us had originally wanted to go together, but our schedules didn’t quite mesh up and we had limited time with the blossoms being in bloom only for a short time.

Peek-a-Boo Cherry Blossoms
  So I decided even though Saturday was overcast this was the day as my roommate had the same day off as I did for once.  We lost Chip as his allergies had flared up and I couldn’t contact him as I had lost my cell phone and didn’t find it until later that night.

Noah at first was reluctant as he wanted to know what kind of guy wants to stare at flowers.  I told him it was as if we were going to Central Park but cleaner and closer.  He wasn’t convinced, but agreed.

The cost is $8 for adults and $4 for students and children, though on Tuesdays you can get in for free.  Since it was Saturday we would be paying full price which was alright by me.  The Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom and I was itching to see them!

The first thing I noticed was that it was crowded!  There were people all over the place and I found myself a little overwhelmed.

White Bells
  But then I was surrounded by the Cherry Blossom trees and I was back in my happy place.  We walked down to the middle of the trees so we could be surrounded by the light pink blossoms.  The trees were thick with blossoms and you could barely see the sky.  It was amazing!  I know there is more to the Gardens, but this was the main attraction at this time of year and I didn’t want to leave.  In the end I took way too many photos of Cherry Blossoms then I needed to, but I didn’t care, I was in heaven!

As we walked down the path of trees surrounded by the delicate color of pink, we realized that there were a lot of odd outfits going on around us. There were some women dressed up in kimonos, not unexpected at a Cherry Blossom festival, but there were people dressed as if they were anime characters.  Hmm, I don’t know why, but they were.  Not my thing, but apparently a lot of people were into it; mostly.

Duck and the Torii

We decided it was time to leave the Cherry Blossoms behind and go visit the Japanese Gardens as I have always been a huge fan of Japanese Gardens.  On our way there, there was a trio of men playing traditional Japanese music, I am a fan of the genre and enjoyed it immensely but before long,  I was distracted by a huge shrub full of pinkish red blooms!  They were gorgeous and didn’t want to be ignored, so I gave them some attention.

After a few pictures I was back on track and heading towards the water where there was a beautifully placed Torii gate.  In the water there were a lot of coy fishes along with a turtle here and there which surprised me.  I love turtles!

This area is beautiful and is as popular as the Cherry Blossom trees.

Japanese Garden
  There were way too many people, so we took a path that led us away from the main crowd so we could enjoy the Japanese section better.  I’m glad we did as it was just as fabulous and we weren’t as pressured to move quickly.

While there, we found a hidden road that takes you to a little structure that is a prayer structure from what I gather.  On the side of it there were two dog statues which had change underneath them left as an offering.  Kind if neat, but both Noah and I wondered how long the money lasted there as people might get tempted by free money as the ticket price is right there in front of you.  Well, that and we do have a high homeless population.  One to ponder I suppose…

We continued walking and found ourselves again at the Cherry Blossom Trees.

Hidden Torii
  Okay, as you know I am a fan, so I took even more unneeded photos before turning to Noah and asking if that was it.  He stared at me like I was high and informed me that we hadn’t even seen half of the Gardens yet.  Wow!  Definitely worth the price!

The next section had a lot of trees and various flower bushes rather than flowering trees and bulbous flowers.  It was a great place to just sit under a tree and read or think and many people were doing just that.  As we were going through a dense area with trees we were greeted by the smell of weed and not the type that you try to get out of your garden.  When we got to the clearing we saw the four perpetrators and they weren’t very slick. They were looking around all suspicious looking.  Yes, you are smoking doobie and yes, everyone knows.  It isn’t like it doesn’t have a distinctive smell or anything.

Reflections
  Noah and I both shook our heads and ventured on before the second hand smoke made us hungry.

As we journeyed further we had to cross a 3 inch stream, but I am happy to report we both lived!  From there we were back on the main road.  As we were looking at a grouping of shrubs with some orange tulips we found a tiny bunny eating amongst the leaves.  Noah kept trying to get my attention and I kept telling him to stop it as I was trying to get a shot of the tulips, but he was persistent and while I was annoyed at first, he was right. The bunny was better than the tulips and I snapped a few shots until more people saw what we were doing and he scurried away.

Next we went to a few gift shops (there Noah met a new friend) and ended up buying chopsticks.  Yeah, strange I know.  Noah said he would pick them up in Japan when he went.

Japanese Garden
  I told him with our US Dollar going the way it is now it would be more expensive and these guys were from Japan. He liked my thinking and we each got a set and decided to order in Bento Boxes for dinner.  Just don’t buy the Bento Boxes at the Gardens as they are a whopping $14.  Heck we both got ice cream and they were $4!  Still they were really tasty…

As we headed past the tulips and the little pond by the gifts shops we found a wedding party getting their photos taken.  Weddings are popular here and I can see why, though the people milling around would be too much for me.  The only way to stop that is to be a millionaire and shut the place down.  Not my style…

The Botanical Gardens were going to be closing soon so we headed towards the exit.

Pretty Green
  There were found yet another Cherry Blossom Tree!  Woo hoo!  Past the Cherry Blossom Tree there was an area for the most fragrant flowers.  I don’t know what they were but let me tell you the scent was divine.  We kept running up to the trees and taking in the fragrance.  It never got old.

The last section is the area near the exit.  It is large grassy park area surrounded by trees and flowers.  There was a little girl in front of us rolling down the whole thing.  I was tempted to join her, but I had a bag with a camera and other breakables and opted to walk.  Next time!

I asked Noah if he had changed his mind and he admitted it was very nice and he had a great time.

Noah Loves the Waterfall
  See, told you so!  But I didn’t say that out loud as nobody likes a know it all.

As we exited the garden we saw that many people were heading into the Brooklyn Art Museum next door.  It turned out it was free to the public on the first Saturday of the month.  Score!  So we headed in and were surprised to see huge Anime statues in front of us.  Apparently, there was an exhibition going on and that was why people were wearing the outfits earlier!  Now it all made sense.

You had to pay to see the Anime section so we opted to pass as there were other things to see.  The Brooklyn Art Gallery isn’t the biggest Museum and the collections are modest but nice.

Red and White Flowers Are Pretty
  There are 6 floors and each is broken up by different types of art such as Asian, African, European, etc.  I enjoyed myself immensely.  Especially the statues!  I am a decent artist, but I was never a sculpture person as I don’t have the ability, so when I see great sculptures I get excited.

As we climbed down the stairwell to the next floor I was confused to see a replica of the Statue of Liberty outside the window on the higher floors.  A little odd I must say.  She didn’t quite look like the original, but I guess the good thing was that she was more accessible than the real one, so why not?

After a good two hours we headed out.  As we headed to the subways, we passed a fountain that shoots water up into the air in different patterns.

Cool Tree
The children around us loved it and one little girl kept screaming and jumping up into the air as if she was the water.  I think it was the same little girl who was rolling across the lawn at the Botanical Gardens.  How fun is she!

In the end, it was a fabulous day and I recommend it to all.  The Cherry Blossoms last for only about two weeks, but if you goto the Botanical Gardens website they have a map that tells you what flowers are in bloom.  There is always something flowering in the Botanical Gardens, though I am so happy I went when I did!  Who can pass up Cherry Blossoms?

binky says:
Thank you! There are always so many fun and new things to do here. It gets really crowded, but it is so worth it. It is really beautiful year round, but you can't beat the Cherry Blossoms!
Posted on: Feb 08, 2011
jeminigirl says:
Hi:) Congrats on today's featured blog. I am so glad I came across this I would never had thought something like this could be found in NYC. Someday I hope to visit NYC and this will definitly be on my list. Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful week. :)
Posted on: Feb 08, 2011
Andy99 says:
I really like the landscaping and touches like the Torii! (Looks like Brooklyn blooms about a month later than Washington.)
Posted on: May 06, 2008