The transition from east to west

Bratislava Travel Blog

This was just sitting in the street
Bratislava is an interesting combination of economic growth and Eastern Bloc living.  There aren't many of the shiny buildings that are prevalent in western countries, but it is obvious that businesses are thriving, and people have a western attitude.  Many people dress fashionably, without buying designer duds, and quite a few speak English.  The prices are just low enough that I can eat and drink well, without worrying about my budget, and those splurges don't feel so bad when you realize that that bottle of nice wine you just bought only cost $8.

By chance I ended up at the same hostel as my Aussie and Canadian friends from Cesky Krumlov, and we explored the city together for the next few days.  Castles (from a distance, I'm getting kind of bored with castles), Soviet-era bridges with rusty pedestrian walkways, and a dance club with a slide right to the dance floor identified the first day.
A building near the Primate Palace
  I even went shopping at a mall here, and ended up buying three items for only $5.  I'm told that tourists are often offered property when they visit, with an average house selling for $30,000.

The city is all fine and good, if a little small, and I'm enjoying exploring the aisles of Tesco for good food and drink deals.  The city center is fun, and since no cars are allowed on the streets, it's fun exploring each street.  I finally got some English-language books to read, but I made the mistake of buying War and Peace, which takes up an enormous amount of the free space in my backpack.  I think I'll just have to read it quickly and pass it off to another backpacker.
Acrobats above the tourists