EuropeSpainIbiza

A party island? Yes and no...

Ibiza Travel Blog

Formentera
My friends Paul, Tim and Danny did a little island hopping today, first heading to Formentera today for the sunset party, and then off to Ibiza for a half-day of dancing.

The sunset party on Formentera is held on a beautiful beach. The island can only be reached by boat, so few tourists come to the island, and there were only around 300 people on the beach all evening. We had a cooler of good food, a bottle of wine, and at the bar nearby, which played good techno and had many people dancing inside, we bought a mojito pitcher and a red sangria pitcher to drink on the beach.

At the sunset everyone clapped and cheered, and we hopped on the Sea-Doo and raft to head back to the boat.

Formentera
Once there, we wakeboarded for half-an-hour, and then took the short 20 minute ride to Ibiza and it's throbbing music.

Ibiza is a popular island where club-goers from around the world come to dance, and I can see why. The first club we went to, Pacha, was enormous, with over 10 rooms and a massive dance floor where techno lovers were packed tight together listening to DJ Roger Sanchez. Some of the rooms played different music, so if one got tired of bumping and grinding, you could head to some of the open-air areas, and enjoy relaxing downtempo music. There were easily 2000 people at the club on that Monday night, and considering that entry tickets were 50 euros, and drinks were 10 euros and up, I can see that this club takes in a huge amount each night.

After leaving the club at 6 AM, we got a breakfast consisting of pizza and water (beer for some of us), and we headed to the next stop on the club list, Space.

Cafe del Mar
Space has a morning party that starts at 8 AM, and soon after it opened it was filled with clubbers, many of whom I recognized as being out the prior night. I liked this place best of all--the music, provided by DJ Carlos Diaz, was bass-heavy and easy to dance to, and the club was not as packed as Pacha. The tickets to Space were less expensive, only 20 euros, and we definitely got our money's worth. I think we rolled out of there at 11 AM, and headed to the dock to be picked up.

The boat took us to a quiet beach where we were to rendezvous with a group of Italian we met the night before, but we were so exhausted that we ended up sleeping on the boat for two hours while people played in the surf outside. I took the Sea-Doo out for a ride, reaching 45 mph on the choppy water, and then headed back to the boat to get some more sleep. I slept for the 30 minute ride around the island to the Cafe del Mar, a bar located on a rocky beach that is famous for its electronic music. There were already 50 or so people on the beach, and with them we watched the sunset to a chill soundtrack. Soon after the sunset we headed to the beach, destined for home on Mallorca.

Ibiza