Welcome to football nation

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

A party on the Main river

Last night we pulled into Frankfurt, and after dropping our stuff off at the hotel we went down to the fan zones in the downtown area.  The games were over, but the crowds were still there, eating all kinds of ethnic food, bumping and grinding to 'ouse musik, and drinking a ton.  It was a serious party on both sides of the river, and made me wish I had been there to see a game.

My sister flew back to the UK today, leaving me with a day to explore Frankfurt before I head off to Prague.  I walked around a bit, but it was obvious that most of the town was headed down to the fan zones to watch the Germany vs. Sweden match.  Remembering the scene I saw yesterday, I dropped into the mix, and found myself in the thick of things, pressed in with a bunch of other Germany fans in 85 degree weather.

The boardwalk, this was similar on the other side
  There were massive TVs set up in the middle of the river, facing both sides, and there were probably over 15,000 people watching in that one area.

I met a nice German guy named Ollie (short for Oliver) who translated a lot of the game for me (since it was broadcast in German).  He told me he is from Munich, and is studying logistics--which I assume is like operations--in business school in Mannheim.  It was pretty cool to hear his perspective on the football match, and he was pretty happy, along with the rest of the crowd, that Germany won 2-0.  The two goals were scored very early in the match, too, so the energy was high right from the beginning.  When the final whistle blew, the crowd went nuts, and started singing songs.  Road traffic was at a standstill as I walked back to the train station, with people hanging out of car windows singing, waving flags, and honking the car's horn.  I can only imagine what the country would be like if Germany won the whole thing.

A party on the Main river
The boardwalk, this was similar on…
The boardwalk, this was similar o…
They like their sausages