Exploring Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Koninkilijk Paleis
Amsterdam has been a great city to visit, and has given me incentive to explore the rest of the Netherlands. The Dutch are friendly, speak English well, and most seem to have a good sense of humor. Also, the women are attractive for the most part, which doesn't hurt.

So much for the Dutch having bad food--I've enjoyed the food here, from fries with mayonnaise to raw herring to waffles. I had Indonesian kebab at De Schutter, a large bar on Voetboogstraat, which was some of the tastier bar food I've had, and my most recent meal was a great falafel from Maoz.

This was my last day in the city, and I spent it walking around the outer neighborhoods--the ones whose streets aren't choked with tourists--like Oud-Zuid, Jordaan and De Pjip. Oud-Zuid, south of the Museum district, seemed like a quiet neighborhood, filled with art deco architechture, where primarily middle-class people live. Jordaan is a more hip neighborhood on the west side of the city, where a lot of yuppies and artists live--I liken it to SoHo or Greenwich Village. Dr Pjip wasn't terribly exciting, but it did have an interesting market that I walked through.

I'm headed back to London in the afternoon, so I'll spend the rest of my time here people-watching.

The streets of Oud-Zuid