The Cyrillic alphabet is трудный

Sofia Travel Blog

I arrived in Sofia last night, and after a disconcerning wait at passport control, where I was pulled aside for a bit, and a long bus ride from the airport, I reached my residence for the next few days.  It was tough finding the place, since all the signs, including the road signs, are in Cyrillic.  I asked a Bulgarian girl for directions, and I found that she was taking a cab to one block away from my hostel.  She told me to jump in, and dropped me off for free--very nice of her.

Sofia seems pretty cosmopolitan, with plenty of trendy young people and high-end shopping.  They have many domed churches throughout the city, and shady squares for lounging.  I have yet to explore the nightlife scene, but I plan on doing that tonight.
concertmaster says:
Since you used the Russian word for "difficult" in your blog's title, it's obvious that you imagine (incorrectly) that the Cyrillic alphabet originated in Russia. No, it didn't. It was invented by 2 Bulgarian monks, and later appropriated by the Russians and eventually used by half of the world's population (including all the Soviet republics). Bulgarians are immensely proud of the Cyrillic alphabet, which they (not the Russians) have given to the world. In their own country Bulgarians use the Cyrillic alphabet exclusively and with impunity, just like the Japanese use their own alphabet in Japan and Chinese use their own alphabet in China (to mention just two of the numerous impossibly difficult alphabets in existence). Would you be picking on Japan or China in a similar situation ?
Posted on: Nov 21, 2010