California?

Athens Travel Blog

the Parthenon

I am having a really good time in Athens.  Similar to New York, it offers all the dining, nightlife and cultural experiences you need, but Athens is right on the water, so it's easy to have a leisurely meal at a seaside cafe, which is exactly what I did when I first arrived.

I spent my time in Athens with a new friend, Kleri, whom I met through the website couchsurfing.com.  Basically the website is a network to put travelers in contact with people that can offer local advice, guidance, or even a place to stay.  Kleri offered me both a local's perspective and tour of the city, as well a couch for me to sleep on during my stay--pretty cool.  She showed me the Acropolis, the St.

An amphitheater near the Parthenon
George's church, which is the highest point in the middle of Athens, and also some more secret spots, like a seaside cafe, as well as a cafe next to both the Aegean sea and a freshwater lake.

She also brought me to Poseiden's temple, which was about 45 minutes from Athens, and I went swimming nearby in the Aegean Sea.  It is so salty that floating without movement is very easy.  We spent a couple hours on the beach, and headed back to Athens for a nice dinner in a square famous for wealthy residents and anarchists.

While driving around the Attiki countryside, it made me think of California--the area is very dry, so the ground is a golden-brown, and there are green trees everywhere, many of them pine trees.  Some of our drives skirted the coast for many miles, similar to the 101, and I felt a little homesick cruising them.

Vikram says:
How long IS your trip??!
Posted on: Jul 26, 2006
Poseidens temple in Attiki
Poseiden's temple in Attiki
Athens, as seen from my friend Kle…
Athens, as seen from my friend Kl…
Athens from the St. George church