Allez Les Bleus! Ah, oh, hmm..

Berlin Travel Blog

Our view of the big screen
I decided to take a small detour on my trip, and fly into Berlin to see the World Cup final between France and Italy. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get tickets, but I thought it would be fun to experience the energy of the fans that would be watching around the city, and I wanted to meet up with some friends who were in Berlin.

Almost every road from Tegel to downtown Berlin was littered with football fans and tour buses, and this was five hours before the match. Some of my friends didn't want to get involved with all this madness--I, on the other hand, wanted to be in the thick of things, so my friend Missy and I headed down to Tiergarten, the largest park in central Berlin, to watch the game on the big screens set up for ticketless fans.

At the end of the game

The park is several blocks long, and every road was filled with food and beer stands, face painting booths, and, of course, football fans. There were several large screens for the fans to watch from, and after one half of standing in the crush of people, we found a better spot with some chairs and a better line-of-sight.

The game was a good one, complete with extra halves added and a penalty shootout--we were even treated to a bizarre headbutt attack from the French player Zidane on Italy's Materazzi. I'm a fan of close games, since it keeps things interesting, but I don't like penalty kicks, which I consider almost akin to a coin flip, since which way the goalie picks to dive matters so much in the process. France missed one of kicks, a high one that bounced down off the top bar to right outside the goal line, and Italy was perfect, so it ends that Italy is the new world champion.

Italy wins!