Tudor Architecture and Romance

Akron Travel Blog

glass butterflies

David called early Saturday afternoon for us to figure out our plans for the rest of the day.  He had found a movie on the baseball field at the minor league stadium in Akron and suggested that we go see that with some possible shopping first.  Somehow we got on the topic of castles which led to me mentioning Stan Hywet Hall.  He had never been so we decided to forgo the shopping and take a tour of the not-quite-a-castle-but-still-large estate in Akron.

After parking we went to the Carriage House for tickets.  (Score for the AAA card getting us a $1 dollar discount per ticket, I know it's not much but it's something!).  We had a little under a half hour to the tour start so we wandered over to the Butterfly House.

dark flower
 As we opened the door, one or two flyers staged an escape; I can't say with 100% certainty they made it to freedom but if you noticed an extra butterfly that day...  Anyway there were a lot of monarch butterflies in this space.  Most were fluttering around, none seemed inclined to land on a person.  From here we briefly wandered into the Conservatory which seemed to be really more a space for them to grow green things.  After this we slowly made our way back up to the Tudor-inspired house with me pausing once in awhile to take photos of flowers, natural and glass.

We hung around the outside of the house for a few minutes before our guide came out onto the entranceway to introduce herself.  Just before going inside, two older vehicles pulled up the drive; they will be part of the Community Day tomorrow but were a nice surprise (especially for David).

butterfly

Inside we went to the left first.  I was immediately struck by the details especially in the woodwork.  The wife had wanted the house to be Tudor in style, the husband wanted modern conveniences, and Stan Hywet marries them well.  I loved the windows that let light from the outer rooms into the inner hallway.  We saw a very large portion of the first floor.  I adored the rooms with fountains (one of which is still working).  The music room where they had concerts was magnificent and it's great that they are able to decorate it very very close to when the Sieberlings (spelling) actually lived there.  The West Porch is a room that I definitely would've enjoyed curling up with a book if I had grown up in the home :)  I was surprised by the polar bear rug in the Hall that rose three stories high with its elegant tapestries.

blue glass flowers
 There was also the dining room with its expandable tables and wall paintings of the Canterbury Tales, the modern kitchen, breakfast room, flower preparation room, and then down a flight of stairs...The Plunge!  Yes, they had an indoor swimming pool in the basement.  White tiles with a design on the back wall of the room and 8 feet in depth, the pool was now empty but I bet was fun in its day.  Upstairs we saw the various bedrooms ranging from the Blue Room where the oldest boys would stay to the older daughter's room with its dark ceiling beams to the younger daughter's room that was the brightest of the sleeping spaces to the bedroom shared by the parents with its wooden walls imported from England.  The beds were definitely on the short size; I would've fit but most other adults might feel a little cramped!

Our tour ended upstairs and we exited out of a smaller door back down on the first floor.

fountain and rubber duckie
 Three cars were now parked in the grass out front so David made sure to check them out before we walked behind the house.  We investigated the English garden down in its own grotto and also walked through the Japanese Garden.  There was a wedding going on on the far side of the property so we did not go there but we did catch a glimpse of the bride and groom.

The grounds were closing soon so we headed out in search of somewhere to have dinner.  The first place we tried was closed (Tripadvisor failed to give us that detail).  However, a random decision to pull into another restaurant gave us a great burger meal.

After dinner we drove over to the ballpark but not for a baseball game.  David had discovered that they were showing Frozen and The Princess Bride for only $5 a person.

coat of arms over the front door
 We arrived with 15-20 minutes of Frozen remaining but there was still plenty of room for us to lay out our blankets in the outfield.  We didn't worry too much about catching the end of the cartoon especially as a number of the younger patrons were more interested in running around than seeing if Anna lives.  We enjoyed watching the second movie (some great lines in The Princess Bride) although at times it was hard to hear.  Bringing the big pillow along was also a great idea to be more comfortable.

For not having a set plan in the morning, this Saturday turned out to be a very nice one :)

carving outside front entrance