Truck & Tractor Pull

Lisbon Travel Blog

I grew up very close to the county fairgrounds, so I was familiar with the sounds of the truck and tractor pulls--the loud revving of engines and churning of tires--but I had never really watched one before.  Saturday evening D paid for grandstand seats for us, so we had a nice view of the action from the P row in section four.  There were five classes competing that night for over $10,000 worth of prize money combiened.  The first three were different types of tractors.  D explained to me how the engines worked and what the drivers tried to do for better runs (so grateful that he knows about pulls!).

We took a little break to get milkshakes before the trucks started their pulls.  This also allowed me to look for some goats that belonged to kids I know through running and teaching.

The trio of sisters had done very well showing their chubby critters; trophies lined the shelf above their pen.  We got some more food (French fries for me, a sausage and sauerkraut sandwich for D) before the semis pulled.  I feel like the trucks (not the semis) were the loudest.  It was neat to watch them charge down the dirt track in search of 300 feet pulled.  They would start off racing and you would think the vehicle was going to make it only to bog down in the last twenty or so feet.  The crowd cheered and clapped whenever someone did manage a full pull.  Occasionally something went wrong and the tractor/truck/semi broke down less than halfway to the goal.  If the breakdown was early enough, the driver could make some quick repairs and try again.  One vehicle caught on fire briefly!

After the last semi pulled (he actually had to pull twice since he had made the full pull distance earlier), we walked along the midway, stopped in the Pocket Pets barn, and then walked along the rides midway.

The evening was definitely a learning experience for me.  I enjoyed attending the pulls despite the noise although it's not something I would want to do more than once or twice a year.

one broke