OCCHA Food Festival

Youngstown Travel Blog

I haven't had much Hispanic interaction in the last year.  I miss getting to speak the language with people other than students (even if it was intimidating, it built my skills).  There are also times that I miss trying the different foods or listening to the radio in Spanish.  So when I saw that there was a Latin food festival going on twenty minutes north of my home, I decided to check it out.  After getting a repair for my car, I followed my directions to arrive at the center no later than 4:30.

Overall I was not impressed but it was the first one so I'm sure that if it is held again next year there will be changes.  A nice variety of foods were listed on a board at the entrance but although the event was to last until eight, a number of the food booths were already sold out or else did not have anyone mannnig them.  You had to buy tickets before going in but once you were in, none of the foods had signs.  If you were familiar with the foods, not that big of a deal, but I was not the only visitor who was unsure of what ingredients made up a dish.  Also, several of the dishes were covered or wrapped so I didn't have a clue what they were.  I had dessert first, a square of Tres Leches cake.  (which now that I think about it, I can't remember if the Dessert Table had a sign saying "Desserts" or just one in Spanish)  It was definitely yummy.  Dinner was to go and was a Puerto Rican dish that sounded like "acapuria" but I have no idea on the actual spelling.  It was a pocket of dough made from plaintains and other items and was filled with beef.  It was ok but left me feeling full after only half of one.

cotton_foam says:
Many congrats, Meredith for the feature!! It's a very nice and warm - read blog!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2013