Fair Time

Canfield Travel Blog

Different types of mint

I grew up very close to the Columbiana County Fairgrounds so that was the fair I always visited.  Now I live halfway between those fairgrounds and the Canfield Fairgrounds.  The Canfield Fair takes place at the beginning of my school year but it is on a much grander scale than the Columbiana County Fair.  It even rivals the state fair in size.

I drove up after a day of in-service and enjoyed a couple of laid-back hours at the fair.  After a visit to the Draft Horse barns, I had a chicken sandwich for dinner and wandered through the historical village.  I made a stop in the Arts and Crafts building to find my two scrapbook pages (no ribbons but it's ok!) and admire the quilts.  The medical building and school building got a short visit but the International Hall earned more of my time.

Decorated cake category
 I used a little Spanish with the man at the Peru booth and then had English conversations with the representatives at the Lebanon, Germany, and Slovakia booths.

The vegetable building is always fun: the huge pumpkins (this year the two biggest were both over half a ton!), the smaller pumpkins decorated in a variety of designs including Olaf the Snowman from Frozen and as a pet hamster in a cage, the scarecrows.

I walked through a pig barn and a goat barn and saw some turkeys going on show.  I paused by a show ring and watched a few riders push the speed to ride their horses to a barrel, dismount, riffle through a catalogue for a specific page, tear out the page, and ride back.

I took a peek at the Floral building and enjoyed a cup of cherry cider.  I stopped to visit the Angels for Animals (a pet shelter) building and watch part of a pony show.  I made sure to buy cotton candy for my dad and a caramel apple for myself before heading home after my enjoyable time at the fair.

diisha392 says:
Thanks! This fair is a great event with lots to see :)
Posted on: Sep 04, 2014
kayguarnay says:
This sounds like a really fun trip! I will miss the state fair here, unfortunately, so no comparison photos :(
Posted on: Sep 04, 2014
cotton_foam says:
sounds like a fun and relaxing weekend, Meredith!
Posted on: Aug 31, 2014