Butterflies

Alliance Travel Blog

turtle

My good friend from high school Becky lives about an hour from me.  She is also a teacher (science) so meeting up works really nicely in the summer.  We agreed to meet on a Thursday afternoon at the Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve.

We first went up to the gift shop where we paid our entrance fee to the Butterfly House.  We headed back out of the air-conditioned building.  Chatting about life, we made our first stop at Turtle Mountain.  Here is where seven or eight turtles live in a fenced-in area complete with several small pools and a castle.  I appreciated the sign with the names and desciptions of the various shelled critters.  We were not able to locate everyone but had fun trying.

Next up was the Butterfly House around the corner.

Turtle Castle
 We visited the same time as a daycare, but the kids were respectful and careful with the butterflies.  There were a lot of winged insects in this greenhouse-style shelter.  We were able to get very close to them and q-tips dipped in sugar enticed them even closer.  I loved seeing the monarchs while Becky's favorite was blue with spots.  We made two laps of the house and took time to look at the boxes with caterpillars and hatching chrysali.  I had never taken as much time to look at chrysalis before this and it was neat to see their different colors especially in the different stages.

After this we walked past where some toads or frogs are supposed to live.  We didn't see any (weren't even sure any had taken up residence).

monarch on pink flower
 We stopped to say hi to a rabbit in a cage and then walked through a few greenhouses.  The herbs smelled really nice :)

Then we headed back to the first greenhouse which really was a hands-on space to explore the plants.  You could put your hands in a long basin and create streams.  Pick up a shovel and dig for various foods that grow in the dirt.  Watch in awe as goldfish swim under a crystal ball and become magnified.  Smell the scents of sassafras, cinnamon, and more.

Last up was a little vegetable garden next to the parking lot.  I found the plants growing out of old shoes interesting.

After our visit to the botanical garden, I followed Becky to a diner in Alliance that I am completely blanking on the name of right now.  Good food and service was enjoyed as we continued our visit until she had to leave for a meeting.

monarch on orange flower