Art Journey

Marfa Travel Blog

Poor fish in hot green water. This wasn't the best "fish pond" I've ever seen!
We left Dallas and flew an hour to Midland airport, rented a car and drove 165 miles through West Texas' scrub brush, oil wells, a few head of cattle and vast miles of nothingness; to finally arrive at the last hotel with a vacant room, booked months ago in Alpine.
Things are a little different in this part of the world. For instance all the guest names written in heavy black ink on large envelopes, were taped to the front door! The guest was expected to pull the envelope and check in. All the rooms were left open and unlocked with the keys laying on the bed! just forget about privacy, not going to happen with your name taped to the front door of the largest hotel in town!
After getting over that initial shock, we left our suitcases in the car and asked for a TexMex lunch spot.
They have to be really bored.
We walked a couple blocks over the railroad tracks to what had been discribed as the best place by our front desk clerk. Never trust a hotel that tapes your reservation to the front door to recommend a resturaunt!
I ordered the Green Chicken enchaladas. The green sauce was completely void of any flavor and the chicken was cubed not shredded, the whole dish was covered with heavy yellow cheese.
My friend ordered the beef burrito, which arrived with melted velveeta cheese on top and again, no flavor!
We agreed it was the worst TexMex that we had ever had and left as soon as possible. The craziest thing is, the place was packed, I mean full of local working crowd eating, laughing and talking like this was the best lunch they had had all week!
Seriously discouraged we drove 26 mile to Marfa to see what was happening.
scrolled metal art
This was the weekend for the Gallery openings and tours. Marfa has been advertized as an artist colony  with unique art galleries, rising real estate prices and a chance to see some eccentric characters.
Marfa is the town ELizabeth Taylor and James Dean filmed the movie"Giant" in at the Paisano Hotel.
We walked around and actually saw some really cool art, amazing galleries and of course numerous eccentric characters, my all time favorite people watching.
After such a disasterous lunch we asked for the best dinner spot in Marfa and made reservations for that evening.
We drove back to Alpine for a much needed nap. The room came with no hairdryer ( I found out later that they were stored in a hall closet for everyone to use), so my hair was completely wild for dinner, one side sticking straight up! Suddenly I was one of those eccentric characters that I so admired, but never had the courage to emulate.
tube light art
Ah, so that is how they did it!
Dinner was fabulous, the best, really good, can I go on? I highly recommend Maiya's. Italian fare with a flare is the best way to discribe it.
That evening, on the drive back to Alpine, we stopped at the Marfa Lights Viewing Center. A very nice place to see the legendary Marfa Lights at night. A few people with blankets and bottles of wine watching the clear night sky. Lots of stars but no Marfa Lights. The Lights have never been explained scientifically, they just happen. First observed by a cowhand in 1883, I betcha he freaked out! They say the glowing balls of light come right at you and move around. Cool.
Second day; heavy touring, lots of walking, hours through the hot sun. So glad I had my hat, I can't tell you the number of people I saw with black pants on. OMG what were they thinking, they had to be so Hot.
car art
We saw lots of Art way more than I could ever absorb.
 I took some pic with my crappy camera. Not sure why ever pic turns out blurry. Think I'll throw that camera away and upgrade. Could be from that time I dropped it on the sidewalk!
I still don't understand the draw to Marfa for the Art. It seems like such a fragile existance for a small town. There seemed to be lots of "closed" signs and empty buildings. In addition the huge trucker highway from Mexico thru Texas is projected to run four lanes right thru the middle of town! Wow.
I'm glad I went to see what could be seen, otherwise I would have always wondered what all the hoopala was about.
I prefer Santa Fe, New Mexico as an Art destination town, it is easier to get to and the food is much better!

Poor fish in hot green water. This…
Poor fish in hot green water. Thi…
studio