please, no helicopters!

Mitchell River National Park Travel Blog

From our Drysdale River Nat Pk camp we drove up to the Mitchell Plateau. Another very long drive through some fascinating landscape.

From the parking area we had to walk about 3 km to get to the falls. It was still dry season but there was still a lot of water coming down. What really spoiled the beautiful atmosphere, were the helicopters flying around every 30 minutes or so and because of the echo in this area it was really loud!!

We had our lunch at the Mitchell falls, tried to ignore the helicopters and enjoyed the beautiful view! Some of us decided to have a little nap and others walked around and took pictures or just enjoyed the view!

On the way back some rangers started some bush fires and those fires were pretty close to the road.

For my opinion to close!! L Jack stopped the car jumped out and started chasing a lizard he has spotted in the tree trying to escape the fire. It was funny to watch and we were not sure who would win this game. The lizard jumped of the palm tree and got on another one followed by Jack! After a big battle Jack managed to grab him. I felt a little bit bad because he did that only to show us the lizard a little closer – I do not want to know through how much stress that poor thing was going through. On one side I was very happy to see one that close but on the other side I believe to leave the animals alone…….

Well, after all he let the lizard go and we went on. Jack was covered with black dirt and bruises from the burned trees and the lizard……. Crazy guy!

Mitchell Falls