A day to remember ....

Barnett River Gorge Travel Blog

Again we left very early in the morning to move on and get to the next gorge. We parked the car near some beautiful Boab trees and went for an approx. 1 hour walk. I have to be honest I do not really remember how long every single walk was. The track took us to another beautiful gorge, where we stopped for another swim break. After that we visited the Galvans Gorge. Another beautiful hidden gorge! I have not really seen any ugly gorges!

Lunch break • sandwiches - ! Visiting so many gorges in such a short time I lost track of the names but the last gorge we have visited!  I should have remembered the name of the last one that day but no, I haven’t!

Again on our walk to the gorge I got left behind due to some higher rocks I had to climb • not good to be afraid of heights • and plus I was taking my time to take some picture! I did not want to rush through • I wanted to enjoy the lovely surrounding • and after all I still saw them in a distance and I knew that this was a one way track so I was not worried!  Our guide was always in a rush, to make the schedule, but at least sometimes I wanted to lift my head and see what is around me! J I knew what will be in the end, water pool and a waterfall like always! J When I arrived at the gorge everyone was already wandering around in their swimming gears.

One girl was climbing around on the other side of the gorge and two more happy travellers were following her when all the sudden they stopped and shouted: “There is a snake” Everyone was reminded again that we were in "snake, spider and other crawling creatures’ country"! The problem was that one girl already stepped over that snake (she did not see it!!!) to get to the other side and that she would have had to come back the same way! After Jack had a closer look and figured out what kind of snake that could be (he thought it might have been a King Brown) he told her that there is no way back she had to jump. Luckily the water was quite deep!

JUMP! Now, that was quite something, because she was standing at a height of 15 • 20 meters……. After a long search we found a spot - still 12 meters hight - where the water was deep enough and no rocks in the water. She was so brave I was really impressed but after all she had no choice she couldn’t go back, so she jumped.

Of course being tourists we had to get some pictures of that snake, from a good distance and under the lead of our guide we got some photos.

Good to have a 400mm lens! Thank you, Lutz!

Still not 100% sure what snake it really was….

In the evening we camped on a plateau near the street. We set up our tents near some trees. First we wanted to camp on the other side near some “rocks" but for some reason I did not fancy to camp there .... The ground was very rocky and on the other side it was sandier!  After all everyone figured out it would be nicer to have sandy underground. For some reason I wanted to see who will sleep and live in our neighbourhood so I looked around the area with my flash light and of course I had to find something in the tree next to our tent!! There was this quite good sized spider sitting in there. It has camouflaged very well, I got my camera and again - picture!

***************************************************************************************************************

Huntsman spider: Most species are not harmful to humans.

They can be found under bark, in houses, beneath flakes of rock or next to my tent! They are medium to large climbing spiders with brown or grey bodies. The eyes are in two rows: 4 back and 4 front. They are active at night and very fast!

That night I took my stinky shoes inside the tent! J

The next morning when I walked to the other side where we wanted to set up the tents before was a termite mound with plenty of inhabitants running around …..

Watch out snakes!!
Watch out snakes!!
Who are you?
Who are you?
Good night, spider! Sitting in the…
Good night, spider! Sitting in th…
Barnett River Gorge