EuropeItalyRome

Rome in a Day

Rome Travel Blog

Our cruise ship pulled into port at Civitavecchia early in the morning and we met our tour guide for the day.  We opted for a private tour of Rome in our own van because we we felt that we could see what we all wanted to see much quicker that way.  (There's nothing worse than feeling like you went all the way to Rome just to spend the whole day waiting for for 80 people to get on and off the bus at each tourist stop.)

Our guide drove us straight to the Colosseum to avoid any lines that may build up as soon as the buses started to arrive.  Our guide pointed out the remains of the gladiator school located across the street from the Colosseum and then described the events that took place at the Colosseum and what the structure meant to the city of Rome.

As you can see from the pictures, even all of these years later, the structure is an amazing sight.

We spent the next few hours touring the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and having lunch at a great restaurant near the fountain.

We spent the afternoon with another private guide who led us around the Vatican.  The Vatican is packed full of tourists and antiquities.  If you ask me, I'd have to describe the entire place as a out of control museum rather than a church.  The room monitors shout at people in the Sistine Chapel to be quiet and to stop taking photographs.  St. Peter's Cathedral sounds more like a shopping mall than a church with literally 1,000s of people talking and people shouting for others to come over.  I would have loved to spend a couple days at the Vatican, but with all the people there it was like trying to leave the Magic Kingdom at Disney World after the Spectro-Magic Parade.

...

Tour Guide Information:  We used Rome Connection as our guide in Rome, and then worked through that company to book similar private tours in Tuscany (Pisa, San Gimignano, Volterra) and out of Naples (Sorrento, Pompei, Positano).  I would highly recommend this tour company.  They were on time, very knowledgeable, had nice vehicles, and were very responsive to us both before we arrived (email and telephone) and during the tour.  Marco Tavola is the owner of Rome Connection and he was a dream to work with for all three tours.  You can reach him at www.romeconnection.com, or at his email addrss: info@romeconnection.com.  Marco was our tour guide in Rome and he had his friends do the other two tours.  Marco also will arrange for a specially licensed (and very knowledgeable) guide to take your group through the Vatican.
sassylassie22 says:
Do you remember the name of the tour companies you used in Rome and Vatican City?
Posted on: Jan 23, 2008
postaltiburon says:
Thanks for the insight. It's good to know what I'm in for when I'm in Rome/Vatican City in two months. I'll be in Rome the day after Easter, so I'm thinking that the crowds will be even worse than what you encountered!
Posted on: Jan 22, 2008
Rome General Tips & Advice review
We used Rome Connection as our guide in Rome, and then worked through that company to book similar private tours in Tuscany (Pisa, San Gimignano, Volt… read entire review
Rome