Majestic Town (with Shady Vendors)

Naples Travel Blog

Naples, especially at sunset, was an amazing site (as you can see from the pictures).  Unfortunately we didn't get to spend much time in Naples because we wanted to see Pompei and Positano.

A friend of mine did venture into Naples for the day though.  He visited the vendors that are near the port.  These vendors are notorious for ripping off tourists.  They do all the regular scams, including the bait-and-switch with the euros and bags.  My friend bought a painting on a wooden board, paid for the painting in euros, watched the vendor pack the board into a box with tissue paper and then drop it into a bag.  This vendor was so slick, however, that as he was dropping the box into the bag and then handing it to my friend, he had switched out the bags.  When my friend boarded the cruise ship, the box inside the bag had a rock in it that simulated the weight of the wooden board.  That vendor must have been pretty good to get that past my friend who has traveled the world and seen many scams.

As with any major city, you have to watch for the shady people, but generally I liked Naples a lot and look forward to visiting it again.

Tour Guide Information:  I have provided the tour guide company information in my "Rome" entry for Tuesday, October 2, 2007.

photo by: Joost1976