Iceland - Journal entry 4

Reykjavik Travel Blog

the Reykjavik cathedral

Waterfall of the gods – godafoss was pretty pretty! The feet were killing me! And it was a bit chilly, but some cold rice and warm creamy (?!!) mushroom soup warmed us up before crawling into our tent. The fact that no one came around for money was a nice welcome for another day. Although it rained a bit in the morning at 6:30 (our first Icelandic rain! Yes!) we had a pretty nice day in Akureyri, coming into the second biggest ‘city’ in Iceland was awesome and weird and strange. So many people, cars, the smell of food, shops. Set up tents with Natasha after checking mails and then went into the city. Some yummy traditional Icelandic biscuit and bread, an icecream which could have been better and a nice cosy bbq with the frenchies and Natasha. This weekend is THE party weekend so we checked it out and it was quite fun. It’s like the Stella Bakstage at Suiker rock, but so many people came together, well more than anywhere else in Iceland I guess. The final band, the headliner you can call it was appolo from the westfjords… pretty good band, shame I couldn’t understand anything. Today = lazy day!

I like yum Icelandic food.

I like making friends with Icelandic peeps and people were throwing money at me for poi! 277 kronur, that’s like over six dollars just for playing, I feel it’s the first money I’ve earnt from it outside of the 20eu cent at Werchter.

Poi and juggling has turned out to be a great way to meet kids and big kids.

We’ve said goodbye to our travelling friends, it was great to meet them and get to know them.

We really have seen some absolutely beautiful fantastical incredible things. I think jokulsarlon is really something we wont see anywhere else. The silence there was great, no cars, no evidence that people exist, just the sounds of birds diving into ice cold water and the creaking, cracking, falling and splashing of the icebergs.

The geothermally active areas and lava fields are really other worldly. I had never walked through a tunnel formed by molten rock before. I’ve seen so much here that makes me think that when people try to design they can never hope to achieve anything like the awesomeness in nature, it definitely is inspirational though.

In this, the second largest city outside of reykjavik there are so many young people from across the country coming to party, and to them from their small towns, this must seem like such a huge amount of people, and it’s really not.

ltrye says:
So I was in Iceland for 24 hours a couple years ago; it was February, so kinda dark, and I pretty much just explored Reykavik and went horseback riding along some volcanic areas (which was still amazing). Your blog definitely inspires me to go back to see more!
Posted on: Jun 06, 2007
Litla says:
your last three paragraphs are so true! love it!
Posted on: Jun 06, 2007