Liverpool, Home of the Beatles!

Liverpool Travel Blog

We jumoped on a bus today and traveled to Liverpool! Which, by the way, will be European Culture Capital of the World in 2008. The dock revitalization is amazing! There are cranes everywhere, a new stadium, new shopping center and lots more. The old Albert Dock has been restored and we toured the Maritime Museum and Slavery Museum. I know it sounds boring but it was the most amazing and exciting museum I have seen in a long time. It was an experience really. Lots of kids in groups and they were having a ball.

The White Star Line, of Titanic fame, was headquartered in Liverpool. The building still stand. The Museum has a wonderful exhibit on it. Most of the sailors were from Liverpool. The interactive exhibits were fun and I got some awesome photos! I know - need to figure out how to get them on this site.

The Slavery part of the museum was also extremely interesting. Not the dismal, horryifying exhibits you might expect, but rather the history of how the ships of Liverpool carried them over to America. I don't think that the US has such a stunning museum and collection of artifacts and paintings.

The big deal is the fact that Liverpool will be the European Culture Capital of the World next year. It is really something to see the extraordinary restoration work they are accomplishing. I guess the town was in really bad shape and they have made an tremendous effort to restore and revitalize. I hope I get to get back in a couple of years and see all of the finished projects.

Of course we also visited the Beatles Museum. It was really quite nice and gave their whole story. I loved the video of the screaming girls fainting on the streets! What dupes! The store is course full of Beatles t-shirts, magnets, socks, even Beatles lighters. But our suitcases are really full and in Europe you are allowed only one carry on, no matter if you arrived in London with two or not! Figure it out they say! Can you tell I am still peeved about the Heathrow situation?! I kow, get over it.

Tomorrow early morning we leave for Ireland. Tom did not get the Brit Rail passes as he said he did so, as I mentioned earlier I got new ones. This is only important to mention for those thinking of traveling via train in the future. Buy your tickets once you get to the UK. It woudl have saved us about $250 US if I had just bought them all here, including the ferry trip! Bummer! But as it is, we have tickets and we will try to get a refund on the seat reservations I made from the US, about $95 worth, once we get to London. They were not able to help us with that here. Very nice lady, but not able to help.

We take the train to Holyhead and then the ferry to Dublin where we pick up a car and then spend the first night in Dublin. I am not sure of the internet situation so I will update as I get the opportunity.

For anyone thinking of coming to the UK I hgihly recommend staying in Liverpool. Sounds like they will be hosting a lot of festivals in the coming year.

Until 'morrow!

Kates68 says:
Thanks for the Great write-up on Liverpool! my birthtown. My mom has been telling me that Albert Dock is going to be the largest shopping center in Europe!! and now you have reconfirmed it. Need to visit soon again, it's been 5 yrs...
Happy Traveling! =)
Posted on: Nov 14, 2007
Occidenoir says:
Liverpool would be pretty excellent, if only for the exchange rate. ::sigh::

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Heathrow. I hope you have a better experience coming home. I'd like you to write something about coming into Rapid City Regional Airport for the Black Hills Travel Blog. It's up and online now, by the way! Did you see it before you left? If you get a chance, go look. It'll help you appreciate home while you're gone. ;)
Posted on: Oct 09, 2007