My Third Home - Utah!

Salt Lake City Travel Blog

alta ski resort

First Home - Manila Philippines - where I currently live, grew up, and so far, where I plan to spend the coming years of my life
Second Home - Lucena, Quezon, Philippines - My dad's hometown, where my grandparents lived. Where i spent many of my childhood summer days and many many special holidays of my life :)

Lastly, 3rd Home - Salt Lake City Utah. I work for an American corporation where it's mothership is in Salt Lake City Utah. :) Somehow, I think its funny that I decided to write about Utah. For the most part of American Movies, it seems to be loathe upon as the most boring place in America. As for me, I like it. To date, i probably stayed there a total of 11 months since 2004. I've been repeatedly sent there for various lenght of time from 2 weeks to 6 months.

arches national park
I've grown to become familiar of the place, met some really good friends and mentor. When i pass by, i no longer say goodbye, just more of - see you later.

For me, Utah means the great outdoors. I've never seen so much mountains in my entire life and to see it on all sides whereever you face is not cmmon to me. Although months later, I came to realize that they are not all mountains - instead some are hills, I like it anyway. The breath of fresh air is a welcome change from the deeply conjested and smogy city life that I am used to. I think people find this place extremely boring because first with the given fact that there's not much nightlife in Utah. I got dragged to a club once by my friend for her birthday. I got the impression it was the only bar there haha and funny enough it was even shut down the year after.

bridal veil falls
If you are after a serene suburban living this is probably the place to be. :)

For Salt Lake City, here are the known tourists attraction that I knew of:

Ski resorts - apparently, Utah has the best snow on earth. I came from a tropical country so the snow is absolutely lovely. But, only for a few days, after that its all muddy sticky and slippery haha! :) For people who love skiing, this is definitely the place to go. there are resorts upon resorts for Ski and apparently it hosted that 2002 winter olympics. I tried skiing once there too. Jumped on the Bunny hop, barely completed a circle and I'm exhausted haha. Sometimes I want to just hop on the Ski lift take a round trip and hop off. Apparently its not allowed though :-S

Hiking! - when we are bored on a sunday we will look up the internet for a nearby trail that we can walk off to spend the afternoon.

Bryce Canyon
There's a lot there. I think one of my memorable ones was the Timpanogos Cave around the Provo Utah Area. We went off with a bunch of "Manilans" (Utahans coined the term Manilans for their visitors from Manila :)). At the Information center you can schedule yourself for a tour inside the cave. We were advised to allot at least 45 minutes to reach the top as the normal time taken to hike. But we decided to leave a bit earlier as we want to take some pictures. It was funny because it took as 2 hrs to get to the cave from the generouns 45 minute provision haha it was mostly because we keep stopping for pictures for the first 1/3 trail and was panting to death for the next 2/3. The Cave was really cool though, a bit narrow walk inside but was a fun way to spend the afternoon :)

Mormon Temple - Utah is definitely known as the home town of the Mormons.

Chimichanga Molca Salsa
Mormons are very nice people, they are very welcoming and friendly :) The Mormon temple is by the downtown area and there are a lot of people waiting to give tourists from all over the world a quick tour to the place. There is a catch though, you cannot enter the temple itself if you're not a mormon but that is fine :)

Downtown area - you can take the traxx around the area and for the heart of downtown the train is free. YOu can walk too though its a relatively small area. You'll see nice buildings like the Capital and Gateway which is among the higher end (and bigger) malls you'll see in Utah. If you're from manila just like me though, their malls are no where near the gigantic malls we have here hehe :) When we are bored, we frequented places like the Sugarhouse Park, the museums by the university, and one time when we got lost we chanced upon the school used in the film High School Musical :)

Road trips! :) - for the most part of my stay in Utah it is mostly about the road trips! :) You can drive around 3-6 hrs and visit the most magnificent national parks and natural rock formations I've seen in my life.

Famous Dave's
There are famous national Parks like Arches, Bryce, Zion, all of which deserved their own blog entry for that matter :)

Park City - Park city is where many of the highlights of olympic games had been set and it had a bunch of resorts there. For people like me thlough, we know it for the outlet shopping amll where you can buy branded stuff at a relatively cheaper price. Visit places like Tanger mall :) It also has access to some other fun stuff like the Heber Valley where you take an old fashion train, we also tried rafting (but really slow rafting style though maximum of level 3 and only on the small parts so its generally for sight seeing).

Main Street - main street had an older place feel which makes it cozier than the rest i guess :) Some of my friends drive there for the bar and to drink some cocktails.

Five guys Burgers
Alcohol limit is low in utah though, a lot lower apparently compared to other states. Not that I would know as I dont drink :)

Sports! - coming from Manila any game seen on NBA is as good as it gets! :) Downtown area's previously called the delta center is the house of the Utah Jazz. One time though, on my way in, there's a big guy on yellow Jersey handing out flyers and hinted "Bee's fans?" I'm like - "NO?" and he had this heart broken look on his face and i'm like sorry, baseball is no where near the vocabulary where i came from. But my colleagues took us to a Bees game once, surprisingly, i loved it. it was more exciting than how i thought it was. :) My other colleagues are coaches for various games like Lacrosse, Hockey, and Softball. So far though, I've only seen Softball :)

Lastly, food! :) My last trip was just 2 weeks and I tried to stuff in all my favorite food places in 2 weeks and I sure gained some good pounds by doing that! :-S

Cafe Rio! - Cafe Rio was about 2 blocks down where our apartments were located.

Great Salt Lake
It served the best pork barbacoa I've tasted and I've tried it on all kinds - Tacos, burritos, Enchiladas, Mexican Pasta! :) If you happen to go by Utah, this is a must try

Molca Salsa - This is a very traditional Mexican food place introduced to me by my mexican colleagues. I order Carne Asada Burrito all the time I believe haha. :) I tried... was it Horchata? :) the rice drink? And then chimichanga are commonly my friends' favorites :)

Taco Stand - There are mexican taco stand used to be available by main street. we normally stop by there for the 1 dollar soft shell taco and I normally order once of each type - Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Carnitas. Then I'm all full for my lunch I love it! :)

Spaghetti Mamas - This is also another favorite of ours :) I just love the Spinachi and more especially, the strawberry lemonade!

Wingers! - I'm not sure if wingers originated from Utah, but I didnt see it on the other states I've been to but I loved it! Hooters has no match for the wings at wingers.

Heber Valley
I just have to stop by there when I'm around. Also, i live the Mint choc chip cake (it's mint ice cream) forgot its official name :)

Bucca Di Beppo - My friends are more crazy of this than I am as I normally just eat them take out haha :) We live its frutti di mari the pasta filled with all sorts of sea foods absolutely yummy! I dont think this is necessarily just Utah

Five Guys Burgers - This place is new, it had giant and loads of fries and the burger with garnishes of your choice. :) Nothing special haha other than my health conscious colleagues who refuse mc donalds will still try it. :)

Zuppas! - Zuppas is a new favorite across the marriot in Salt Lake city. It's a soup and salad place but I specially loved it for its row of good desserts, yummy!

Lunch time and I'm hungry.

Jazz Game
It's good to reminisce about Salt Lake City and maybe i'll share some more in the future. Pictures to come next time! :)

-- Aimee