Fall in Cleveland Park

Cleveland Park Travel Blog

A vibrant red maple sits along a pretty street in Cleveland Park between Wisconsin and Connecticut Avenues. You'd never know you were in Northwest DC just by looking at this photo.
Today, the day after Thanksgiving, I felt this urgent need to get out of the house and explore parts of DC. I had hoped to catch up with a friend, but she wasn't in town, so instead I used this time to walk around Northwest and enjoy the sights.

So I took the metro into the city and got off at the Tenleytown/American University exit and started walking south towards the National Cathedral. After a few blocks, I realized that a bus was coming my way and I imagined how fun it'd be to jump on the bus and see some sights along the way.

After a mile or two, I saw a block of shops and decided this was the time to get off the bus. I knew that Connecticut Avenue paralled Wisconsin at this point, and it didn't seem like it should be that far away. I stopped at a bookstore and asked for directions. Then I started walking through a neighborhood, and thought that after a couple blocks I would surely see signs of Cleveland Park. But no, the blocks seemed endless.

So I kept walking. And after a while I started noticing the scenery. And then I soon forgot about how long I'd been walking and how much further until I finally got to the metro. I felt like I was in the country. So many trees were unexpectedly at peak colors, including all the Japansese and red maples folks had planted in their front yards.

My favorite photo of all, the one that, to me, shows DC in its full beauty, is one that I didn't know just how pretty and vibrant it would be until getting the photo back from the processor.

Eventually I did make it to the metro at Cleveland Park, and though it was nearing dusk, I could have spent hours more exploring the neighborhoods and taking more photos of the scenery.
A vibrant red maple sits along a p…
A vibrant red maple sits along a …
Cleveland Park