My 18th Birthday

Venice Travel Blog

This trip was a surprise to me.  My parents had told me that we would go somewhere for my 18th birthday and we set of early in the morning and I was looking at the road signs to try and work out where we were going.  Coventry was my best guess but on arrival at East Midlands airport I realised we were going somewhere a little more exotic than Coventry - Venice!

We had a little trouble with our flight but managed to get an extra night in Venice out of it.  Once in Venice we got on a water bus on the way to our hotel, which was fun.  One of the first things you notice in Venice (other than the fact that there is a lot of water about) is how many twisty, windy streets there are.  It's not really that difficult to navigate as eventually it is possible to find your way to St Marks square, which is by far the best square I have been to.  We went up the tower there which offers fantastic views of the city.  Being in Italy having a Pizza was a must and it beat any Pizza I had had in the UK by a long way.

On the way back to the airport we got a water taxi and we blasted our way across the water, seemingly in a race with another water taxi.  This was a really good experience, as was the whole trip.

St Marks Square