The secret path

Charleston Travel Blog

Part of the Gateway Walk into Eden.
Charleston is a great walking town. I pay a yearly fee to park in a garage on Calhoun St. and walk everywhere. Day or night, business or pleasure. Take the time to walk Charleston at you own pace. Sometimes, as I found out last year, you end up finding something that you never knew was there.

My girlfriend and I were walking down King St. window shopping when we came upon an opening between two buildings. There was an iron gate, open and inviting. We could see trees, shrubs and a path. We passed through the gate, between the two buildings and entered a garden. Trees, flowers, bushes and vines tucked away behind several buildings.

The path split into several directions. As we explored we saw statues and very old gravestones. We were in an old graveyard that had been cultivated into a garden. And it was beautiful.

We had found the back door to the Unitarian Church gardens also known as Eden.

* The Unitarian Church dates back to 1787 and is considered one of the oldest churches in the south.

Unitarian Church in Charleston:
The churchyard was designed as a garden cemetery in 1831 by Caroline Gillman, married to then minister Samuel Gillman. She designed the churchyard in the 1820’s as a garden cemetery. The stones mark the graves of those whose lives are woven into the history of the church.

The public is invited to visit the garden. And for us it was a beautiful day and a wonderful find.

The church is located on 4 Archdale Street, and the gate we passed through is on King St. just west of Queen St.

* - Information provided by The Unitarian Church web site.

cmhall9 says:
It all depends what you’re looking for.
If you like history I’d take one of the carriage tours or a guided walking tour. Either one will take you through some of Charleston’s oldest streets. And they both start in and around the old market.
If you don’t mind the water you can take a boat out to Fort Sumter where the first shots of the Civil War began. If you do decide to take a boat ride, spend the extra money and time and go to Fort Sumter. It’s the same as the standard harbor tour that the boat company offers except you get to step onto the fort. With the standard harbor tour you just cruse by it.
Posted on: Oct 15, 2007
theseasidegirl says:
Great write up, looking forward to my visit any nust see locations.
Posted on: Oct 15, 2007