EuropeItalyRome

Rome & The Vatican

Rome Travel Blog

Colosseum
Bunoa Sera da Roma!  We  arrived in Rome Friday afternoon.  This city is very different from Venice.  It is similar to New York with all the crazy drives and the hustle and bustle of a big city.  Saturday morning we got up and tried to go to many of the sights since we are only here for a couple of days.  We walked down to the shoe store that I had been dying to go to since we planned this trip.  This store makes custom fit shoes for you.  I was bitterly disappointed.  All of the styles were a little too flashy and over the top.  As all of my girlfriends know I have been on the look out for the perfect pair of black strappy heels although they are still out of my reach, I shall keep trying.
Colossuem
  After my shopping tragedy, we went to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Forum and Colosseum (see photos).  I was a little surprised to see so many people (aka tourists) here in Rome.  I thought October was shoulder season not prime tourist season.  Oh well, what is a fellow tourist to do, but keep sight seeing.

Rome is not Venice, but I am still glad we came because I got to see the POPE!  We went to the Vatican today at noon and the Pope addressed the crowd in Saint Peter's square and he blessed all of us.  Unfortunatley, it was in Italian so I have no idea what he said, but he blessed me and Johnny and everyone else was cheering so it was all good.  Yes, the small picture is of the Pope.

Another reason I feel that Rome is like New York...because all of the people who work at the train station could not have been more rude.
Spanish Steps
  It was like going to the courthouse at home and dealing with a clerk.  No help and a whole lot of attitude.  Regardless, we persevered and are happy to report we saw all the sights we could here in Rome and tomorrow we train to Florence for 5 nights.  We plan on taking some day trips to Sienna and one or two other places.  We will than head to Milan for two nights and take a train from Milan to Pairs.  Trying to get to Barcelona was too much work, so we will go another time and from Paris we will day trip to the south of France.  I will update the blog from Florence until than...
Ciao from Rome!
jendoane says:
Hey Lady!!!! Wow, your sleeper train incident sounds terrible, exactly why I don't travel! You guys must be exhausted!! But from all the pictures, it looks like you are having a lovely time and you look so happy :) Sorry about your unfortunate shopping experience at the shoe store. That just means more for you to spend when you come home and go shopping with me..I believe you'll be home just in time for Anniversary Sale...7 am...Stonestown?? Mia's birthday party went off without a hitch! She had a great time and I'm thoroughly exhausted. We'll miss you this Halloween but I'll save you a piece of candy!! This place is not the same without you my friend, miss you terribly...Have fun in Florence and say hello to John!! Love, jen
Posted on: Oct 29, 2007