Night Train to Prague

Prague Travel Blog

St. Charles Bridge
    We took a night train to Prague from Amsterdam.  The first leg of the journey was a 4 hour train ride to Frankfurt, Germany.  In Frankfurt we changed to a sleeper car for the rest of our journey to Prague.  We had a private sleeper car with bunk beds and a sink.  We are such geeks because we were so exicited to sleep in the sleeper car, but we didn't really sleep.  Oh well, it was still a new experiece and not sleeping was a small price to pay.  We arrived into the Prague train station at 9:30 a.m.  In every guide book you read it tells you the horrors of the taxis in Prague and how they try to rip off the tourist, but what can you do when you have two big duffle bags, haven't slept and need to shower.
View of Prague
  TAXI!  Here's the deal it was fine.  We told the driver where we wanted to go (Crowne Plaza Prague Castle, nice hotel) how much we would pay and it was completed uneventful.  So, the lesson here is to be informed, but not afraid.  The train station was interesting.  The people who work at the TI (tourist information booth) were complete assholes.  The two women I spoke to were the most unhelpful and unhappy people we have encountered on this trip, but I guess they may be throw backs to Communist era.  Whatever!

Prague is a beautiful, old and touristy city!  The views from the hills overlooking the city are breathtaking.  The red tile roofs are unique to the city.  My friend, Carrie was here a few weeks ago and told me how much she loved the city and I agree.
Red roofs
  I am really glad we decided not to skip this city.  Walking accross the St. Charles bridge gives you a view of the city with the surrounding fall foliage which serve as a back drop that makes you stop and stare at the beauty all around.  There are only a few places that I have seen that have left an impression like that on me and the night time view of the city with all of the buildings lit up against the dark sky is equally as memorable.

We have been visiting many of the galleries.  We have been walking around the city just to take it all in since we are only here for a few days.

Tomorrow we are going to tour the Castle which is very close to the hotel.  We walked the grounds, but it was raining today and the Castle was very crowded due to the weekend.
A view from the bridge
  John has been sick with a head cold and the temperature was a balmy 39 degrees, burr!  After we tour the Castle we will head back to the train station for an overnight train to Venice.  I can't believe I am finally going to Italy.  I have wanted to go there for years.  So, I will post again soon with updates on Venice, Rome and Florence.  After that we are undecided if we should go to Barcelona or stay in the South of France before we end our trip in Paris.  We have decided to come home a little earlier than planned.  We fly home on November 13, but we still have many more places to see before we leave.

carriej says:
One more thing... if you fly in, take note of which airport. Some airlines (like Ryanair) actually fly to Girona, which is about an hour bus ride away from Barcelona. The bus is fine, but can be crowded, and I think it cost something like 20 euro. Just a heads up.
Posted on: Oct 23, 2007
carriej says:
Hey kids! Barcelona has some really interesting architecture, especially the buildings by their home town hero, Antoni Gaudi. If you go, do not miss Casa Batllo. Way cool. One thing I noticed is that Barcelona is fairly spread out. It can be a long walk between things you want to see. We got day tickets on the "Bus Turistic", and it stops at most of the high points. It is a continuous loop shuttle, so you just hop on and off. Definitely tourist, but really convenient. Miss you guys! Love, C.
Posted on: Oct 23, 2007