My trip to Johannisholm

Johannisholm Travel Blog

In the spring of 2007 I had to choose where to go in the summer holiday. It was my first holiday without my parents so choose to do a active holiday.
At 6 july my trip started. The next day after a exhausting bustrip we arrived at Johannisholm. It was summer but still the fire was burning in the fire-pit. It actually was quite nice. A this time I found out that Johannisholm has five inhabitants and that the village was the camping and the camping was the village.
At the camping you can rent tents and houses to sleep in. Most tents and houses are very basic, they only have beds. It becomes clear that it is not a camping to stay the whole day and do nothing. And you do not want to. There is a lot to do around the camping. You can rent canoes and with a map you can peddle on the lakes and rivers.
You can also rent mountainbikes or quads. When you rent a mountainbike you also get a map. Whit the quads the owner of the camping rides with you and helps you with difficult spots in the course. You can also make hikes through the woods. The camping has planned several routes with different levels of difficulty. There are short hikes that take two to three hours and are about 10 km. There also are longer hikes where you walk over the roads but also travel through woods and marshes. I did a hike which was 28 km of which 9 km through woods and marshes. I took us al day. We started at 9 o'clock in the morning and we arrived back on the camping at 6 o'clock in the evening. Everyone was exhausted and had blisters on there feet but the hike was very rewarding.
Our firepit and houses

When you want to be less active for a day, you can go swimming in the lake, but it is very cold, even in July. You can also play volleybal, rent fishingrods or go climbing. When it is cold outside you can rent a hot tub but it is quite expensive. It costs 50 euro to start the hot tub and you will have to pay 11 euro extra for every person.

Well after a active day you want to eat. There are a lot of things to eat and some are traditional Swedish. When I was in Sweden I had Pytt i Panna. It is actually made of leftovers and it contains potatoes, carotts, meat and some other vegetables. It is all mixed together and baked on a big wok. When it is almost ready, you mix an egg and some herbs through it. And the you mix it, on you plate, with lingonjam.
You can also buy a K├Âlbulle. Actually it is a small pancake with lingonjam or sugar. But when you do not want to cook yourself you can go to the restaurant on the camping or go to the Bakerstuga. In the Bakerstuga you can buy simple yet tastefull meals. There is one disadvantage about drinks in Sweden. The taxes on alcoholic drinks are very high. This makes beer and wine very expensive. Sometimes 4 cans of beer cost 8 euro which is about 9 dollars. It is possible to buy cheaper beer but there is less alcohol in the beer, about 3,5% instead of 5%.

The nature in Sweden and especialy in Dalarna is beautifull. Everything you see are woods, marshes and lakes. So there are two things that you must do. First you will have to book the wildsafari. With a small bus you will ride through the woods during the evening. With a little bit of luck you can see a moose.
The second thing you must book is a trip to Gnupen. Gnupen is a very big rock. The rock is 200 m high and when you stand on top of it after a 9 km hike you can see Norway(see my pictures for views at Gnupen).

When you did this all in 10 days, you will get tired so you will sleep on your way home.

PS: I hope you all understand my English. There will be a lot of mistakes in the text.

marshes