Milk March

San Francisco Travel Blog

This disposable camera kinda makes it look like we really are in the 70's

Harvey Milk was a San Francisco city supervisor and landmark figure in championing gay rights. Assassinated in 1978, Milk remains one of the most famous and influential people in the city's history.

Apparently, Gus Van Sant is making a movie starring Sean Penn as Milk. JP and I thought it might be fun to voluneer to be extras while they were shooting on location in the Castro and Market St.

The scene we did was the candlelit march, a re-enactment of the mpromptou vigil that sprang up after the assassinations. There were a lot of people there, both volunteers and professional extras. We were told to wear 70's looking clothes that weren't too garish, so I went with tight jeans and my NOW shirt, which reads "A boy of quality is not threatened by a girl for equality". Aw. Some of the other volunteers had interesting takes on the wardrobe. Fuschia leg-warmers?? Someone is confusing 80's with the 70's and has no idea what "garish" means.

They shut down the street and brought in a parade of nice-looking 70's cars. There were real and fake police standing around. You could tell which ones were fake because they had sideburns and 70's cop mustaches.

We waited forever for them to set up the shot, then finally waddled, en masse, down Market St. holding our little candles, trying to look sad and not to look at the camera. And then we waited some more and did it all over again. Not the most exciting night of my life, but try everything once, right?

This disposable camera kinda makes…
This disposable camera kinda make…
San Francisco Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Ebb Tide Cafe
The Ebb Tide Cafe is my favorite breakfast place ever. Tucked into an unassuming space with mismatched coffee mugs, pushed-together tables and a weird… read entire review