Halloween in San Francisco 2007

San Francisco Travel Blog

Racist Panda beating the gong

Each year, the Castro has an amazing Halloween celebration -- unsponsored, spontaneious, wild and festive, the Castro tradition has been going on for years and years. Everyone fills the streets with elaborate costumes, house parties congregate in windows and fire escapes, and everyone parties late into the night. And every year, they threaten to shut the whole party down.

Well, this year, the finally did it. Rows of cops on the street, bars forced to shut down for the night, and 16th St. BART closed was all it took, apparently. Didn't help that Halloween was on a Wednesday this year, but damn I expected my city to put in a little more effort.

It especially sucked cuz me, Patrick and Yelp-Celebrity-Ed put so much effort into our costumes this year.

panda feeding
We decided we would be the Chinkiest Halloween Ever. I was a racist panda (my shirt said "All Crackers Look the Same"), Ed was the good luck greeting cat, and we made Patrick a gong costume.  Yes, a gong costume, complete with gonging stick so people would swack him in the ass while he walked down the street.

The mood was a mix of festive and glum. Like, people were walking around in costume, but everyone was pissed at the massive police presence and the fact that they can actually take away our holiday. Since Halloween is now considered a secular non-nationality-specific holiday, they feel like they can actively discourage it.  Like, they could never take away St. Patrick's day, Christmas, or whatever, no matter how much it got out of hand.

Luckily, there were some other people that still tried. Cute costumes I saw include 2 people dressed as the golden gate bridge (one tower each, connected by a cord) and the big group of elder gays dressed as the cast of Amadeus (I wonder how you coordinate that one -- "everyone, send me your suit and breeches size and I'll talk to the costume shop!"?)

Eric says:
Too bad they shut this down, I remember going a few years ago, was pretty crazy...
Posted on: Nov 01, 2007
panda feeding
Good Luck Cat, Racist Panda and Go…
Good Luck Cat, Racist Panda and G…
Me and Slash
Me and Slash
All crackers look the same
"All crackers look the same"
Me and slash