Weekend Happenings

Monrovia Travel Blog

Erika looks at lapas at Dawala Market

This is my last full weekend here aboard the ship.  How sad is that!  I can't believe 5 weeks have gone by, where does the time go?  So this weekend was a scramble to get things done that I needed/wanted to get done.  I went back to the markets in order to finish my christmas shopping (don't be surprised if you get something African in your stockings this year!)  The last time I was at the market was when I first got here, I had to keep reminding myself that I didn't have to buy everything I saw cause I will have plenty of opportunity to come back and take my time.  HA!  I hadn't been back since and so I was in a spending frenzy buying up as much as I could.  I spent alot more than I planned in a very short amount of time, but I think it was worth it, my list is complete (and then some) Liberia is actually quite expensive to shop.

Here fishy fishy fishy!
  Its the most expensive country in Africa, second only to South Africa (so I have been told).  The government of Liberia is based off of the American government, but I'll go into that in another entry.  Liberia uses the American dollar, and prices are through the roof!  DInner out is about $15 (thats just a small pizza)  The ratio of $/quaility is greatly lacking.

Friday I had the day off and so went to Dawala market, about a mile away.  Is a large market along the road that sells everything from fish to lapas (fabric).  I bought quite a bit of colorful fabrics.  It was really hot in the market and since it was right against the road, there was no place to walk.  What space there was between the stalls and the road was taken up by taxis' often 3 wide.

The tailor shop across the street
  It was crazy!  There were large holes in the ground that led to sewers or just big pits full of sewage.  Watch where you walk!  Luckily we were only there about an hour and a half.  Stopped at the tailors on the way back to the ship and ordered a dress using some of the fabric I bought, it'll be done after 5 on wednesday, so we'll see if it turns out ok.  You walk into this small concrete box, about 10x10, the only light is coming through the large door at the front.  Inside there is enough room for 2 old fashioned singer sewing machines with the foot pump pedal and a small work table.  On the floor is a castiron iron that you fill with coals to heat up.  The walls are covered in pictures of the different style of outfits they can make.
Look who's driving the boat
  You look at it and point to the one you want.  They measure you and give you a quote.  For a two piece dress, it'll cost me $15.  Not bad.

Saturday, spent the morning playing a really cool game, I learned it the first week I was here, its called  Settlers of Katan and is a game like Risk, only you build settlements and cities instead of moving armies around.  We have a whole group that plays as often as we can.  Anyhoo, went to the craft market after lunch and bought alot of wood carvings and a large painting (I know Mom I said I wouldn't, but it was really cool and I have a great spot for it, plus I had them take it off the frame).  Then went to Benson street which is downtown and has a lot of tailor shops.

Tish & I play a duet
  Shopped around looking at all the african designs.  Saw what we thought was a tribal dance with drums, a really intense dancer and a guy dressed in a furry dog-like creature.  When we got up close to watch, they got right in our face and demanded money, it was really scary, we quickly ran away.  Safe and sound back at the ship we were told it was a voodoo ritual.

Ended the night with another game of Settlers (I won!  I've never won before).  Then Erika helped me was my hair.  I haven't been able to really scrub my scalp since I got my hair done, its too much work and hard to do on your own, so we got a basin and Erika went to town on my head.  It was devine!  My head felt to inflamed and sore that it felt good having someone scrub it.

Playing Settlers of Katan
  Its like a cut that was healing and was very itchy, that feeling of itching it, it hurts but feels really really good!

Went to Providence Baptist Church really early this morning.  Its more american like than the other churches I've been too.  A real Southern baptist church, with a choir loft and a pulpit and stainglass windows.  We sang hymns instead of chants with an organ (which turned out to be a keyboard).  It was really interesting.  Now back at the ship and doing laundry.  thats it for now

Erika looks at lapas at Dawala Mar…
Erika looks at lapas at Dawala Ma…
The tailor shop across the street
Look whos driving the boat
Look who's driving the boat