Weather and Whatnot

Monrovia Travel Blog

Hello from the Africa Mercy

The first week is almost over.  This time last week I was sitting in Chicago waiting to get on a plane to go to Belgium and then here.  Its amazing how fast the time flew.  Finally feel like I'm getting the hang of ship life.  I wake up around 6:30, or whenever I finally drag myself out of bed.  Breakfast and devos in the morning b4 work.  Work until 3-5 every day with lunch sometime around 12.  Then supper and then hang out in the town square socializing until bed time.

Lets talk about the weather.  Its been hot and humid and when its not hot its pouring.  The wet season is supposedly over by October, but the way its been raining one would never have guesses.  Though I've been told that its not raining, its drizzling (in comparison to the last couple months) so we call it LIberian Drizzle.

Raining outside on Deck 7
  Today was the first day in 4 days that its been sunny when I got off work and so I was able to go outside.  I sat up on Deck 8 and read my book for a bit b4 supper.  It was a nice view of the port, watching some ships unload and the birds fly around.  Its not quiet at all up on deck though, its not quiet anywhere on the ship, but it was worse up there today.  They were doing some maintence work on the crane and then testing the fire alarm, but what really got me was when they blew the ship's horn!  They did it with no warning and it almost knocked my off my chair!  Grrrrrr!

Walked the dock after supper and found a nice place to watch the sun set over the ocean.  It was cloudy but very pretty.  We sat on our corner of the dock, singing and watching the sunset and the sea life below us.

Colors on the water
  We are pretty high up, and the water is dirty, but you can see the fish on the surface.  We can see jellyfish, crabs and a wide variety of fish.  Some flat fish, small baracuda-type fish, jumping fish and what looked like schools of goldfish swimming around.  There was a light shining down on the water and as the sun went down we could see more and more fish.  It was fun watching them swim around and chasing eachother.

The port we are in changes everyday.  Our neighbors are never the same in the morning, with large cargo ships coming and going at all hours.  We can see them unload their large crates onto waiting trucks on the dock.  The harbor is calm, with large wave breaks creating a channel for the ships to pass through.

Erica, Glenys and Mary- at the ice cream social
  Its far away, but we can glimpse the ocean from the dock.  The harbor is also littered with old ships.  One is sunk next to the dock down aways and another is tied a little bit off from our dock and is collapsing on itself, it looks like it was cut down the middle long ways and then the 2 pieces leaning against eachother.  Its a wonder its still afloat, but I was told they were going to take it out and sink it.

Tomorrow is a start of a 4 day weekend- a ship holiday, so there's no work on friday or monday.  I'm going to market and then out for supper with a bunch of girls from work tomorrow.  Saturday I'm on call so I can't leave the ship.  Sunday I"m going to another church and then monday i'm spending the afternoon on the beach.  Should be a fun weekend.

We did have an ice cream social today in honor of everybody leaving tomorrow.  It was a lot of fun, lots of ice cream- chocolate and banana, and Belguim chocolate and cheese puffs!  We hung out in the PACU after work and ate way too much.  Drs, Tony, Leo and Tim are leaving tomorrow, all of them are from the UK.  I was just getting to know them and enjoyed working with them and now they are gone :(

So thats it for today

Colors on the water
Erica, Glenys and Mary- at the ice…
Erica, Glenys and Mary- at the ic…
Rain rain go away