Gotta get as much in as possible!

Monrovia Travel Blog

Stip the Willow, the super long version

So even though I have now about 15 hours left on the ship, I am still very busy.  Last night was the Ceilidh, which was a blast.  We all gathered on the dock and the handful of scottish crew members walked us through the different dances, from the Canadian Barn Dance, to Strip the Willow.  We would go through the steps slowly then put it to music and away we would go!  The dock was barely big enough to hold us all, it could have been wider.  The music was super fast and we stomped, jumped, swung and laughed our way through the night.  It was so much fun!  The male to female ratio is sorely one sided, someone told me it was 6 girls to 1 guy.  So not only were we dancing so fast and trying to keep up, but you sometimes forgot if you were the man or the woman!  The air was very warm and humid and soon we were all sweating and the more we linked arms to swing, the more we slipped, it was gross and fun at the same time.

Ceilidh
  We ended the night 'Stripping the Willow' with everyone in 2 really long lines, 'guys' on one side and girls on the other.  The head couple would spin really fast for 16 counts then work their way down the line linking arms with the next person and then meeting in the middle then go out again.  We staggered the couples and everybody had a go.  It was really long, but so much fun.  Now I really want to go to Scotland!

Started packing last night, got my big suitcase full, hopefully I wont be over the weight limit on my bags.  I'll pack the other one tomorrow after church.

Today I went to the Center of Aged, Orphaned & Abandoned Children, an orphanage with about 50 children.  These children are a mixture of orphaned, displaced children who lost their parents in the war, mom and dad thought aunty or grandma had them when they fled, some were abandoned in markets.

Group shot at the orphanage
When we got out of the jeeps, a little boy, Jeramiah, latched onto my hand and held it the whole time.  He's 8 years old and wants to be a policeman when he grows up.  I also met Davidette, who wants to be a musican when she's older.  Anyhoo, it was our (as in the ship's) last visit of the outreach, so they planned a kinda party for everybody.  We started off sitting together while the orphanage thanked us for all the ship's hard work, a choir sang for us.  Then we divided up the kids into groups and let them play games.  One station was a parachute game, another musical chairs, there was face painting and another station to get polaroids taken.  It would have gone smoothly if it was just the orphan kids, but the orphanage is open and a lot of kids from the neighborhood came and caused problems.
My friends
  We tried to play with the parachute, but the kids weren't listening and it was choas, so we took it away.  Oh well.  We then sat them all down again for a drink, juice with ice for everyone, even those pesky neighborhood kids.  We had a quick message, handed out snacks and then it was time to leave.  All in all it was a good time.

Went out to lunch with some people from the ship, to Mamba Point, which is on the other side of the pennisula, by the US embassy.  There's a nice hotel that we ate at.  I had chicken fried chicken, with fries and bread and spring rolls for starters.  It was a really nice meal, expensive, but nice.  My meal actually came with rice, but we have rice at every meal and I can't look at anymore rice, or cucumbers for that matter.

Waiting for the party to begin

Back at the ship, saw my last sunset.  It was gorgeous.  The clouds still blocked the horizon, but the colors were outstanding.  I'm going to miss them, its not the same back home.  We also had a costume party tonight, everybody dressed up, we had Luke & Leia, hippies, Gilligan, the Queen of Hearts, The Backstreet Boys, Fairies, pirates, deckhands, a snowman, you name it it was there.  I threw my costume together at the last minute and with help from Marylou from hospitality, I was a greek goddess in my toga.  I tell you this ship is crazy, to think that people actually have some of the stuff they used on board, like a true Peter Pan costume and a pink feather boa, who brings that?!?  Oh well.

So ended my last full day watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in the crew mess with a group of people.

My last African sunset
  This cant be the end, its been too much fun for it to be over.  I leave the ship tomorrow at 3:20.

Stip the Willow, the super long ve…
Stip the Willow, the super long v…
Captn Jack Sparrow