Elwa Beach

Monrovia Travel Blog

Beautiful Elwa beach

Another fun and exciting day here in Africa.  It being Sunday, I headed out with a group to a local church, quite aways away, on a long bumpy road, very bumpy.  You don't know pot holes until you've driven on a Liberian road after the rainy season, its an experience!  Church is great, the little kids are so cute all dressed up in ruffles and nice clothes.  One of our group delivered the message, about the Talents from Matthew 25, and was translated by the pastor, which was fun to watch, he elaborates and adds alot of character.  We feel very welcomed at the churches we go to, and the Spirit flows through the congregation, can I get an AMEN!  Alleluia!

After church we went straight to a new beach, Elwa beach, which is nicer than CeCe's beach, much cleaner and very tropical.

Eating lunch on the beach
  The water was clear and the waves were on the larger size.  We lounged around under a palm tree, enjoying the sun and the salt air.  It was a perfect day, hardly a cloud in the sky.  Its usually cooler on the beach and if you get too hot you just cool off in the water.  I learned how to swim in the ocean by a group of UN soldiers from Jordan, who were really nice and helpul.

So tomorrow is a start of another work week.  Not really sure what the week will bring.  Sat with some ward nurses at supper and they told me that 9 patients have been admitted for surgery for tomorrow.  We have 3 wards, about 20 beds each, with a mixture of patients, male, female, children.  The patients come in the night b4 and are preoped.

Finding shade at the beach
  So in order to take new patients, we have to discharge the patients we have, so the surgeons have to make a decision who they can let go home.  (Would be nice if our hospital did that).  The wards are very crowded, not much space between the beds.  Children under 15 are allowed one parent to stay with them, other wise the patients are only allowed one visitor at a time during visiting hours from 6-8pm.  All of our eye patients are outpatients, they live in or very near the ship and come in the day of surgery, go home with a patch on their eye and then come back the next day for a follow up.  We try to make our patients feel as comfortable as possible, for many this is their first time on a ship, sleeping in a bed, taking a shower, being in air conditioning or using a toliet.  We have patient bathrooms with squatting toliets, cause they aren't used to sitting.

Anyhoo, I have to get my laundry ready and I'm going to play a game with some people, so thats it for now.

Monrovia