Just walking through Antalya

Antalya Travel Blog

Mausoleum close to the clock tower
Started out by going towards the clock tower, keep going to the Atatürk statue and then run to catch the kid that is determined to get there way before you do. Okay, so we are now down the stairs to walk through an art exhibition. I really enjoy the first three pictures, needless to say, I can't really judge the rest of them, since I am chasing the kid again. She is now outside playing with the canons that come from way back then. She is also most interested in the door to the old bath house, but since it does not open, on to the mausoleum we go.  This is also not very interesting for her, since there is no way in, but the two coffins with the green flags spread out over them, get her interested for a few minutes. When pointing to the sign "Mommy, what's this say?" my answer Café got nothing, but a nod of the head and the comment: "Why do they make coffee, when there is dead people in there.
Another mausoleum. I thought it was funny to have that sign there.
" so we follow the directions of the sign to find the café and  the bottom of another tower. And the old entrance with the turkish flag above it, proves to sell very new things. I enjoy the atmosphere, it is quiet here, one can hardly hear the cars on the street.

We then say hello to our friend in the jewellery shop. After a cay for me and an apple tea for the kids we keep going through Old Town by the harbour to see what they have restored in the last years. Many houses look unfamiliar. Many new places are taking place of the old ones. The bakery has made way for yet another tourist shop. The seamstress for the belly dance costumes has moved to another part of town and there is also a souvenir shop.  Funny how they all carry the same thing. My friend wanted me to bring something back, that you used to find at every corner a few years ago, but it is not to be found anywhere.
By the mausoleum - in front of the art exhibition
Instead they have whatever was the fashion now. No matter if it is knitted sweaters, friendships bracelets or funny things to wear around your hips or beads on your head. They all carry the same things.
Ah, there he is. "My" meerschaum man is still there. He greets us a warm welcome, yes, the kids got so big, again we drink tea, he inquires about the family and wishes us a nice stay and says I should stay there and work for him. What a tempting idea.
On we go to visit the pension we once stayed at. The housekeeper man is still there, the owner has moved on to open more places. Antalya's pensions are doing bad. The big hotels with the all-inclusive are taking all their business and there are hardly no backpack travellers anymore. He tells us how he misses the old times.
Old town, renovated houses
And he goes on about how much the tourists change, first there was Germans, no manners - holding hands in public. I try not to giggle. and then came the english - eating sausage for breakfast. and then the americans - always loud music. And now, he smiles, we have the russians - not only holding hands,  but ooh la la - he rolls his eyes -  vodka for breakfast and they make americans sound quiet.  He sighs - I do too - I think maybe next comes the Swedish, I hear they are quiet. I hope so. Masallah.
Time to go on, gotta meet mom in the park. Okay, so we go to Hadrian's Gate. "Mom" - the quietness of the midday heat is rudely interrupted - "MOMMMMMMMYYYYY, look they got Subway here now" Yes. I see this. "Can we go to McDonalds?" Well, I have to admit it is the best McDonalds I ever ate at, but I really am not in the mood for McDonalds when I can have all those Döner Kebaps.
Yacht Harbour
But then again, I can have those at home too. I decide for some REAL turkish food and we get some Gözleme with sheep cheese. And Ayran. And an ice cream. I ask the turkish guy in front of me, how much the ice cream was. 50 cents. The sales person gets upset. No wonder. He usually charges the tourists 2 Euros. I smile, give the kids 50 cents each and keep walking. This is one thing I have learned early, early, early. In Turkey you have 4 prices.... the one for the natives that live there, the one for the turkish tourists, the one for the almancas (turks that live in germany) and any other tourists. So, find a turkish person and see how much they pay. And even if there is a menu - ASK how much you will pay. I had it happen more than once, that a "Special" just happen to expire and they forgot to take the sign down ;)  But my uncle always said, you can go to Turkey and they will cheap you 20 cents, go to Italy and they take your wallet or go to Poland and they take the whole car.
all those wildflowers in the middle of all those buildings
Oh well... (in my opinion, or go to Germany and pay it all on tax for gas, for food. Or going to the bathroom. Or try to find drinking water- ha! and we don't even have palm trees)
So, we meet up with the others and order a Samowar. Unfortunately no tables up front, but we sit, so the kids are out of the hair. Not too bad either, they do the multi culti thing. They just grabbed some other kids and played at the fountain. I just love the turkish culture and there children. They are so relaxed and patient.  We do the typical thing. We sit. And enjoy the view and the sun. And as usual I enjoy the sun too much and burn my nose. That's what I get for sticking it out there so much. Finally, we decide to go home. On the way we have to walk across the tram tracks and right as we get there, the tram towards Konyaalti arrives.
Ha, the ice cream is stuck.
Good idea. We jump on the tram. Pretty cheap and the little ones are loving it.  We pass by all those places we walked before. And there is still the german bakery where the pension owners used to pick up the bread for herself. I guess, one does get homesick for some things. We get off at the last stop of the tram and walk through the museum. It sits right there, as you get off the tram.  As usual, there is so much to see and not enough time to look at it. Because the kid is bored.  I am intrigued with all the findings, how people used to live, the sarkophargus, especially the ones for the dogs. I had not seen this before. "Mom, look there is a dead guy." Yes, there sure is. Very interesting. I guess it does give one an idea. But it is still creepy. I decide next time I will ever go to a museum it will be with a muzzle and the kid tied to my leg. Or wait till she moved out.
       We go outside to look at more old stuff. It's okay here, I can look. She can run and climb. Good thing. We play pretend chess on an ancient chess board that is engraved in the marble table that sits in front of a stone chair. My boy sits in it and even though he ain't, but skin and bones, it reminds me of King Louis of the Jungle Book.  Enough of the museum.

Even though it is cool, we walk towards the beach. It looks all so different. The road I remember, even though I still remember the one way street that used to lead up that path. But all those umbrellas. and the concrete and the buildings. OH well, luckily it is not season yet. Only a few young turkish men working on their tans. And being brave enough to hit the water. The kids went in - of course. and used our clothes to dry off and get warm afterwards. I am jealous. But Turkey is not the place to be an adult running in underwear in the water. It would be a dumb idea. Nevertheless, it was a perfect day, not too hot, hardly no people and the wind blowing.

The next day we drove to Serik and Belek, but unfortunately we hardly too any pictures. I was so disappointed. The town literally exploded. Big hotels everywhere and vacation homes back to back. I thought this might happen one of these days. It used to be the "secret" spot and not many people went to the beach there, cause there were no trees. So we usually had to share the beach with only a few locals. Now, it is a place where you can find all the excitement you would like. If you like. All kinds of watersports and pretty girls competing with the pretty man. The only restaurant serves european coffee and charges european prices. There is not one open spot on that beach at all. A little further on is a bird refuge, so no hotels in there, but who knows for how long till somebody pays enough. I am thinking of Beysehir and the lake in the mountains.
In general Turkey is not cheap anymore. Last I heard the buying power is 98cent for each Euro. But it is still nice there, the people are friendly, the food is fantastic and I think if it just would not be so hot, I might just stay there and sell meerschaum pipes. But, I would miss my seasons.
oldschoolbill says:
There a way too few Secret spots, & less all the time!!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2008
sylviandavid says:
I like this blog... good information... It is a good idea to ask the price of things (for us, if they spoke english) to make sure you paid a fair price. I like your perspective.
Posted on: Oct 22, 2007
Mausoleum close to the clock tower
Another mausoleum. I thought it wa…
Another mausoleum. I thought it w…
By the mausoleum - in front of the…
By the mausoleum - in front of th…
Yacht Harbour
all those wildflowers in the middl…
all those wildflowers in the midd…