Day 3 – Stonehenge and Journey to London

Stonehenge Travel Blog

Sept. 13, 2007:  Day 3 – Stonehenge and Journey to London

I had two goals for today:  Stonehenge and getting to London.  I accomplished them both somehow.

Jez and Emily let me sleep in at their place while they went to work.  I left their place around 10am after researching Couchsurfers, hostels and buses in/to London.

I loaded up my backpack(s) and headed down the 2 mile hill to downtown Bath.

The Stonehenge bus tour (12.50£ + 4.50£ student admission to the site) left from behind the Bath Abbey at 1:30pm.  The bus was purple, held about 20 people and hard to miss surrounded by all the big white buses.

The bus was about half full, and the driver was a good tour guide as we drove through the countryside between Bath and Stonehenge.  The hour long drive consisted of green rolling hills and a military base.  Nearing Stonehenge one can see warning signs saying “Tank Crossing” with a simple black drawing of a tank.

For miles around Stonehenge all one can see are fields.  It hasn’t been developed due to the military using the land for training purposes.  This is a good thing in my opinion.  The tour guide said that the area had the highest number of sightings for crop circles and UFOs in the world.  A 3D crop circle was discovered just this summer.

Do I believe that extraterrestrials are behind crop circles and UFOs?  Since there is no hard evidence I cannot say yes, but I would not be surprised if something unknown to us was causing some reports of UFOs or crop circles.  I believe there is a lot we do not understand about the universe.

But, on the other hand, I do believe that most UFO sightings are atmospheric anomalies, human-built air/space craft, and/or false reports.  And I believe a lot of crop circles are probably made by humans unfortunately.  I could elaborate more on this, but don’t want to write pages upon pages of pure speculation.

Fortunately for all of us on the bus it was a warm sunny day with minimal clouds.  The Stonehenge site stood out amongst its surroundings.  I got an immediate sense that these huge stones were not native, and I was not surprised to learn that ancient people dragged the stones hundreds of miles from the ocean (or so the theories suggest).

The Visitor Center gives everyone a handheld speaker which you hold close to your ear to hear information about Stonehenge.

I found the information useful, but since I’d heard and read so much about the place prior to visiting I skipped a lot of it and concentrated on taking photos instead.

The site is surrounded by a rope to keep people away, but you can still get to within about 20 feet from the stones.  Two-lane highways run along the north and south sides of the site, with the northern road being about 100 feet away from the stones, and the southern road being a little farther at about 200 feet.  There was little traffic though due to the rural location.

We had an hour to walk around, and I took full advantage by taking about sixty photos and a few minutes of video.  I even felt an energy force lift me off the ground, spinning me in circles.  Ok, just kidding.

Before I leave a place of significance I usually take a look at the site, take a deep breath and try to absorb it one last time.  I did this for Stonehenge since it’s one of those places I’ll want to remember how the air felt and smelt, and how the sun shone through the clouds onto the stones.

As we got back on the bus I looked over the few large burial mounds that stick out of the rolling landscape.  These mounds are where ancient people buried heir leaders.  They have been explored by people over time looking for treasure, but only bones and weapons were found.

When we got back to Bath I bought my bus ticket to London (10£), and tried to find the grocery store Helene had taken me too the day prior.

After having walked for about an hour I gave up and, yes, went to a McDonald’s.  I bought a deli sandwich of the day for 2£ and loved every bite of it.

The bus to London took about three hours and dropped me off at Victoria Station where I took the Underground via the District Line to my hostel, Globetrotter’s Inn.

I checked in around 10:30pm and realized you had to pay for internet.  This upset me since I thought they said it was free on their site.  “Oh well” I thought, and paid for 20 minutes.  I called my Mom, talked to Danielle and uploaded some blogs.

I won’t recommend Globetrotter’s Inn to anyone over 24 since it reminded me exactly of a college dorm.

Luckily I had nice roommates who went to bed at a reasonable hour and weren’t loud.  And, I do have to say that the bathrooms and showers were very nice and clean.

I’m in London!!

AtlantaBelle says:
Sidenote, I totally didn't realize the blog I just read about London ("Day 4")was yours as well. My bad!
Posted on: Dec 03, 2008
AtlantaBelle says:
How much did you LOVE Bath and Stonehenge? When I went I felt that same energy you're talking about. You got some great pictures. Now I'm thinking I'll have to go through mine and find the ones I took of Stonehenge too. :)

www.londonenglandtours.net