Diving the Canyon and famous Blue Hole

Dahab Travel Blog

Diving in Dahab

Monday was a day of activity, Vaughan and I went diving and the others went snorkelling and some went Quad Biking as well. The beach where the well known Blue Hole and Canyon dive sites resided were a few kilometres north of Dahab. To get there we took an exciting jeep ride along sandy desert tracks and the coast road squeezing through canyon overhangs along the way, it was a fun ride. All along the beach was Bedouin style cafes and restaurants it was very laid back and hippyish I loved it! Both the Blue Hole and Canyon were shore dives. While the others settled themselves into sunbeds Vaughan I were taken to the jump off point for our Canyon dive. Our dive guide was a Bedouin and he stripped off his robes to reveal his wetsuit underneath, I thought it was quite funny to see this transformation! We geared up and into the water we went, the water was warm and the sea life colourful. We descended into the Canyon and I was fine for the first few minutes but then suddenly I had a claustrophobic panic attack and had to get out of there. We spent the remainder of the dive cruising along the reef at a shallower depth so I could calm down. I don’t know what caused it as I don’t usually mind confined spaces but this was scary and I was quite annoyed with myself afterwards so I’ll have to go back and do that dive again someday.We had a break before the next dive so caught up with the rest of the group for lunch in one of beachside Bedouin restaurants which was lovely and relaxing.

Our second dive was the Blue Hole,we walked along a small cliff carrying all our gear and entered the water in a gap between the rocks. This took us into an underwater arch and along a wall of coral until we finally arrived at the Blue Hole. Above us we could see snorkelers and below us the die hard divers braving the deep abyss. It was an amazing dive and one I would definitely do again some day.  We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing with the others on the sun beds and in the evening we had our final meal together as tomorrow the rest of the group were heading back to Cairo. Vaughan and I were staying on for an extra day so Vaughan could do his Nitrox course before heading to Sharm El Sheik. Sarah was also staying on as she was doing her Open Water course and Christina also chose to stay on and decided to come with us to Sharm to do the 3 day liveaboard.

xander_van_hoof says:
Probably you were a bit stressed already. You don't mention the RIP plaquettes of the people who died. Normally you must have seen them just before you went in.
Those people wanted to dive from the blue hole to the gulf of Aqaba. Dangerous deep, especially When diving with air. But the normal dive is not hard.
Posted on: Nov 23, 2014