AfricaEgyptCairo

Oh the joy of delays!

Cairo Travel Blog

Map of where we went on our tour

The start of our journey was from our house in Mitcham suburban Melbourne Australia !  Our flight out of Melbourne was 8:30pm, our friend Scott picked us up from our house about 3pm and took us to the airport.  For his good gesture Vaughan promised to get him a Fez (Hat that looks like a lampshade and has black tassles out the top !)  Our Emirates flight was on time  and we managed to get a couple of lone seats together at the back of the plane.  Our first stop was singapore for a around couple of hours.  On leaving Singapore our adventure started ! we had only left an hour or so when an announcement came from the captain that we had to divert to Kuala Lumper because we had a sick passenger that we had to get off the plane. It turned out that a 21 year old had a heart attack! As I watched out the window I could see a jet stream of fuel being dumped out the plane this was so we weren’t too heavy to land.

Flying over India
We were in  Kuala Lumpar around 3 hours because the man who refuels the plane had to be roused from his sleeping bed! This delay  meant we missed our connection in Dubai to Cairo.  On our wait we had made some friends on the flight a couple from Adelaide and they happen to be going to Cairo aswell so when we got to Dubai we stayed together.  Emirates staff were less than helpful in Dubai and we eventually managed to get a flight to Cairo some six hours later on Egypt Air.

In Cairo we were met at the airport by our Geckos representative, we were loaded into a mini van and off we went.

Clouds from the plane
  First thing I noticed apart from the strong smell of fuel and smoke in the air was vehicles driving without their headlights on! I said to the guy who picked us up ‘Why are they driving without headlights’ his reply ‘Why need headlights when we have streetlights!!’ only in Egypt!! I later discovered that Egyptian drivers are mad, no road rules, traffic lights are for decoration only!  So finally to the King Hotel, it was basic but clean and they had a lovely roof top restaurant.  Vaughan and I had been travelling for 36 hours inclusive of delays so we just went  straight to bed!

Ehab_maher says:
u really did a god job here...
and looks like u had fun there:))
Posted on: Jan 14, 2008
carpefunk says:
Wow, you took so many amazing pictures! I don't know how many times I said WOW to myself. Great blog!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2007