Last day in India!

New Delhi Travel Blog

Karol Bagh market

Today was my last in Delhi and even though I had enjoyed my trip, I was very much looking forward to going home.  My health was very much on the decline with a persistent cough and a growing lung infection; home is where I needed to be.   I decided to sleep in this morning and not go to breakfast with the rest of the group. My time with the group was over and I now wanted my own space so I planned my day just for me.  When I eventually did get up I wondered down to a cafe on the street corner to grab some breakfast.  19 days ago I thought twice about stepping out into the streets by myself but now I was confident to take on India by myself!  After breakfast I wondered back to my room, packed my bags and said goodbye to some of the group that were heading off early, and then wondered down to Karol Bagh market.

Anyone for a shave! Karol Bagh
  I was yet to still find my hubby a present, he wanted a T shirt with a print of the Indian beer logo, but it was a hard task trying to find one.  My first stop was a shoe stall and I spent a good half hour with the salesman, tried on about 20 pairs of sandals!  Bought three pairs and got a cup of chai as well.  I then wondered down the street through the never ending market. I was loving it, I think I was the only westerner and it was the most hassle free market I’ve ever been too.  Most of the wares were targeted for the locals so a tourist T shirt was out of the question.  I stopped at a stall that had cushion covers, I asked how much for two that were of different patterns but he tells me he only sells them in packs of 5.  I couldn’t convince him I wanted one of each pattern for 300 rupees so I moved on.  5 minutes later he caught up with me having run all the way from his stall and said I could have them for 300 rupees so I gave him an extra 50 for the effort!  Later I found the same cushion covers in my local shopping centre at home for AUS$12 each! Having walked from one end of the market to the other which felt like kilometres I caught the metro back to Connaught place where I had lunch at a nice restaurant called Zen’s. No sooner had I left the restaurant that I darted into Pizza Hut as Delhi belly struck!  I guess the curry I had was a little too spicy.  I was getting tired of wondering around trying to find a T shirt then suddenly a shop!  I think the only shop that sold T shirts in the entire city!  I spotted a T shirt for hubby, purchased and headed back to Karol Bagh.  The rest of the afternoon I rested until it was time to head to the airport.

New Delhi