Two Mile Borris and Thurles and Holy Cross

Thurles Travel Blog

Before we head to Thurles, we thought we should just get a place and rest to get rid of a hangover from too much fun in Blarney. I can't think of a better excuse to feel like shit!

We found the Castle B&B at Two Mile Borris in Thurles, which is an ancient house with what is left of a castle attached. We had a nice room, a hot shower and finally, some rest! Dang, I'm not as young as I used to be. One night out partying and I was dead to the world. Seriously, how long can a hangover last? But we had the owner point us to the pub for the locals and headed there for some shepard pie and a beer. Okay, hung over yes, but no beer with dinner? Please!

We spent part of the evening chatting up the owner, Joan. The house and castle have passed down through the family since the early 1600s. The castle was originally build in 800 out of wood. As it rotted, some time around 1100 it was torn down and the existing castle was built out of stone to replace it. The castle was lived in by family until the 1600s, at which time the house was built and the castle abandonded. We both took the time to wander a bit and relax, but in the end, we hit it early. The next morning at breakfast we met a troup actors traveling through Ireland to schools. They had one last night, then heading to Dublin, then all catching a boat to South Wales to continue their adventure.

We headed out to the graveyard at Thurles to locate Brenda's family. Lots of graves, lots of names and too much history to absorb. Next time we visit, we'll make sure to have the B&B owner research for us so she knows the EXACT location of her family.

Onward to Holy Cross and Farney Castle!

Thurles