The Dingle Experience

Dingle Travel Blog

I had heard that Dingle continues to use Gaelic as the native language, but didn't really believe it until we hit the Dingle Peninsula. At this point, all road signs are in Gaelic, which means I had not idea what I was doing most of the time! So, I just did what the other drivers did and hoped for the best. We found a nice little B&B (O'Neills) right on the main street of Dingle and walked to the Dingle Pub.

Ended up not eating, but drinking our dinner that night. The pub was packed by early evening, the band was great and we ended up sharing a table with three women on holiday from Dublin. They were a riot! It is a good thing we were just down the block from our B&B because there is no way in hell we would have made it home that night if it were much further. There was a sign posted at the pub on the dance floor asking people not to "traditional" dance when it was crowded, as injuries may occur. How funny is that? I guess you get a few pints in someone and they think they are Michael Flattley. :)

You could tell the locals from the visitors by the language they spoke. If you had absolutely no clue to what was being said at any point, and the language sounded like music...it was Gaelic. I think it must be one of the most difficult languages to learn, but is so musical that they could read the tax guide to me and I'd still be mezmerized. :)

Anyway, Dingle was fun, the people were wonderful and I have no idea what anyone said the entire time we were out and about. That just makes for a great visit! I wish I had taken pictures here, but through the cloud of Guinness, it just wasn't possible.

Dingle