AsiaIndiaJaipur

The Pink City

Jaipur Travel Blog

my room at the hotel

Woke up at 3.30am, took shower and had a quick breakfast.  I had to catch the plane at 6.30am.  The drive from the hotel to domestic airport was half the time than usual.  The streets were isolated.  Apart from the many old taxis parked on the streets there were hardly any cars around.  We reach just about the time to check in, the driver was good, he didnt bother to talk a lot, perhaps he realised that I was still half asleep.  As we reached the airport an airport representative escorted me to the check in counter. It felt so grand that he carried my luggage and did all the necessary check in procedure.  Then I went thru the X-ray thing and waited sleepily in front of the gate.  It is my first time travelling domestic in India and I didnt know what to expect.

the shops in the palace
Although, Hormazd told me that the plane I will be flying with is decent I still didnt know what decent means in India.

The flight to Jaipur was not bad, although I would have love if it would have been longer that at least I could sleep on the plane, but it felt so quick. As soon as I got out of the plane, I could feel the warmth of the sun.  I could see the stretch of desert from the horizon on the plane and I felt like I was in Dubai.  I started to like the place.  I was staring at the little airport and was wondering why this city is called Pink City...indeed the colour of the airport is pinkish - teracota.. The airport is very small but this doesnt surprise me anymore, its almost the same size as the Maldives.

at the entrance side of the palace
  As I got out of the airport I was expecting to see my name on a welcome board, I stood there for a moment reviewing all the board, there were many people holding up signage but none of them has my name on. Hmmm.. then I spot a cute little girl with a Taj name badge on..aha! there she was staring at me with a guy on the same coloured uniform standing beside her.  I smiled at her and she approached me at an instant and greeted me with my name.  I read her name from her name badge and greeted her with her name too.  That the trick I guess although I didnt have a name badge on, but guess she was expecting me!  Apparently she was my butler for my stay at the hotel..well at the palace.

When we were all set, the driver gave me a cold face towel and a bottle of cold water, something that I really needed.

spa garden
I asked them to turn off the AC in the car as I was loving the temperature outside.  For most it will be too hot, but coming out from the plane, its just about alright.  They told me that the ride to the palace was 15-20 mins.  On our way I was amazed that Jaipur is wde and clean, however what amazed me more was that there were a lot of malls and shopping areas under construction around the area however, you can still see elephants, camels, cows on the road running lose.  It somehow felt like fitting the past, present and future in one place at the same time.

Junko says:
I wanted to go Jaipur, but did not have time unfortunately. It is interesting to read your travelblog because I always traveled there poorly, like staying at very cheap hostel. It would be interesting for me to see the laxuary side of India next time:)
Posted on: Oct 31, 2007