A Western day in India

New Delhi Travel Blog

Delhi does Paris

Hello - I am currently in Delhi - and as with the rest of India and loving it - although today I have had a full on Western day.  After doing to the biggest mosque in India I was going to go the old mogal fort but somehow I wasn't really in the mood.  So instead I got the underground (clean and AC far nicer than in England to new Delhi).  Boy is this different to Old Delhi.  My only excuse for what I write next is I haven't seen anything like this for one and a half months....

....So after having McDonalds for lunch (different to in England had the big Mac equivlent but was chicken) - went in search of Starbucks - but found really nice coffee house where had mocha with triple sec and chocolate brownie.

Playing with the Taj
  Then layed in a park and made my way to the India Parliament buildings and down to India gate.  This area of Delhi reminded me of Paris.  Big, long, wide, straight roads leading down to a monument not two dissimilar to Arc de Triumph.  Even more amazingly in this area of Delhi traffic went the correct way (as opposed to the shortest way) round round abouts and drove on the correct side of the road - a million miles removed from the crazy streets around where I am staying in old Delhi.  After all this excitement made it back to place I had seen earlier that had happy hour between 12 - 6 buy one get one free beer.  It was still expensive but came with free "chinese salad?" which was devine.  Then thought before I left New Delhi better take full advantage so had KFC for dinner!  This unlike McDs as just like it is after Tuns or Hob night out!

Anyhow away from this Western day I have really enjoyed my Indian experience thus far.

The holy river "Ganges" at it's most peaceful.
  Varanassi is the holy city (Hindi) in Indian - built on the Ganges people go there to die as believe bypass to Nirvana.  Lots of temples built along the Ganges to commemorate people who have dyed.  I only expected to spend a day or so in Varanssi but spent 4/5 just wandering through the narrow streets.  This was supposed to be one of the hassle centers of India so me finding it relaxed boded well.  Then I took the 1st of what became 3 night train in 5 nights to Agra and the Taj Mahal.  The Taj Mahal was awesome and when I went to view it from behind the next day met this little Indian kid that nailed some great photos.  As good as that though was old red fort - which was where the old mogal capital (muslim) once rested.
The golden temple

Then onto Amritsar - the most holy site in the Sheikh religion (I have been learning lots about religion.  At the center of this is the Golden Temple - and I was able to stay in the complex of the golden temple along with the thousands of pilgrims that visit the golden temple daily.  It was an amazing experience and as you could enter the temple freely I saw it in all kinds of different lights.   Then went to get night train back to Delhi with an Iraeli guy in a cycle ricksaw and some motorcycle scoundrel pulled up beside me and nicked my day bag - annoying for me but at least I took some comfort in the fact he will be pissed when he opens it.  Took me an hour and about 25 english to replace everything on arrival at Delhi.  Most expensive of this was me lonely planet.

It's a cows life
  Met to 19 year old girls who have travelled India without guidebook - I need a bit of hand holding.  Then again also went out with a French lad in Katmandu who had never driven a motorcycle until buying one in India - he had made it too Nepal alive!

Yesturday I was all set to travel the rest of India quickly then head to Sri Lanka to watch the last test.  But combination of not wanting to rush, fly, Sri Lanka being pretty dry (beer - like much of India) and being so excited by a few Western delights today means I think I am going to start heading South to Goa instead and watch the final test on a beach in Goa surrounded by Western comforts instead :-).  Happy days.

Playing with the Taj
The holy river Ganges at its mo…
The holy river "Ganges" at it's m…
Its a cows life