Colombia

Quito Travel Blog

View from my hammock

Well I have semi safely managed to negotiate Colombia!  Other than arrivals and departures it is an absolutely amazing country!

So... I departed for Heathrow at 5am in the morning bound for Colombia┬┤s Caribbean coast via Madrid and Bogota.  However Heathrow surprise surprise was in choas after some clever soul decided to deposit a dirty great big plane at the end of the runway.  Hence my Heathrow to Madrid flight was cancelled.  No problems reroute via Miami.  So took off in the same kind of dirty great big plane that was at the end of runway and arrived in Miami 1 hour before my connecting flight.  Somehow I managed to get through American security in this time - Paul one luggage zero unfortunately!  So then flew to Cartagena from Bogota minus lugguge which "was to come down on the next flight".

It actually WAS my birthday!
  Three days and half my luggage as a tip somewhere along the way my clothes did indeed arrive into Cartagena.

By this stage other than stinking and looking generally minging I had met a great group of people so we disappeared to Tiganga together "more Caribbean coast".  From there we went and stayed in a really quiet national park where you could sleep in hammacks that were kind of on a rock in the sea - it was absolutely stunning.  The storkelling there was also great.

Back to Tiganga - this became a habit - then some diving which was great although my ear did not concur.

Then off to Barranquilla for what is supposed to be the largest carnival in the world outside Brazil.  It was amazing the people of Colombia are so friendly - other than telling me I danced like a money in a suit but no news there!  People were lending me there wifes and girlfriends to give me dance lessons - it was all sooo much fun.

Maybe I lost that battle!
  Many flour fights which were great other than when I accidently got Colombian police (not a good idea!), silly sprayn and 5 litre after 5 litre bag of water being squited at me.  There are some great photos but I only have 2 camera batteries to last me 10 weeks since my charger was nicked so they will have to follow later.

Back to Tiganga... then 6 day walk to the lost city.  Not that hard but balance man aka me managed to cut his leg open when he fell off a rock crossing the 1st stream about 10 minutes in - nice!  The walk through the forest was amazing though as was the lost city when we got there - it was big and pretty much desserted.  No falling over on the way back.

...back to Tiganga - then I did a 15 hour night bus in a bid to break free of Tiganga.

Walking wounded!
  Went to the 2nd city of Colombia Medillin which was just absolutely amazing.  It is the city that Pablo Escabar funded so is amazing - although don┬┤t mention PE to Colombians I learnt very quickly - I want to read the book killing Pablo.  Medillan is a proper party city I met some amazing people there also and had a great time.

Then started the long journey to the Equadorian border.  Started quite promiosingly until got 7 km away when came across blockade.  So I had to run through the mob (the most relaxed blockade you could ever imagine) and head to the border by foot.  Fortunately an old man taking potatoes to the frontier on a horse and cart had been allowed through so I hitched I lift and quite literally rode into Colombia - what an awesome country!

Lost city