a mermaid, a goddess and another tragic comedy of errors in the life of lauro blah blah.

Copenhagen Travel Blog

not much people inside the bus!
since arriving from sweden yesterday, i still have a WEEK to consume in denmark, i felt that i already reached the "climax" (haha i was laughing when i typed this) of my travel to scandinavia.

i had seen what i wanted to see. so i'm just letting the things go with the flow and no primarily plans, since the weather was cold and windy, to be honest i'd just rather stay in vanessa's flat.

tomorrow vannessa invited her co-workers for dinner in the flat, and i promised her that i would cook something. but looking out the window, i was so bored, because kim and vanessa werent there, they were working, and as usual they are back at around 9 pm. so what i did is i ask a friend i got to know in the internet if he would have time to show me copenhagen.
kastellet!
i got an sms back and lucky me, he was free!

so we decided to meet after lunch at where else?! copenhagen central station.

i was back again walking in strøget, i swear i would never get lost in that area of copenhagen, as i always walked and never using public transportation inside copenhagen for THREE DAYS! HURRAH!

klaus was a bit late at our meeting point, and its not good to wait because it was cold and i only have my beggining autumn clothes and I DONT HAVE A JACKET - and yes i am stupid.

so came klaus, we greeted each other and he asked me what do i want to see in copenhagen - the only thing that came out of my mouth was "the little mermaid"! and so the little mermaid it is!

from the central station, back again to the direction of strøget then only until the rådhus where we had to catch the bus, there were alot of rallies going inside copenhagen since ive arrived, and it was nice to ask klaus because he is from copenhagen himself and very educated, he told it wall about integration of foreigners, speicially islamic cultures into the western culture which is simply clashing.
to the kastellet!

i was amazed, because it was also the problem in germany but germans dont dare do that, its avoiding of what happened in the dark past.

anyway, at our bus stop, i had to tell klaus that i had to pee, but damn it, its motorway and evrything was open, finally after some minutes of walking i found a bush where i could pee hahaha.

suddenly i found it strange as klaus was leading me to some industrial center, and i asked him what the fuck are we doing here?! he just laughed and said wait and see.

then this industrial like area, became like a park with a moat circling around it, klaus told me that this was a fortress of the soldiers of copenhagen. it is called the kastellet. it was a bit strange, as the colors of the barracks are all red, its like blood painted it and a proud flag of denmark was standing.
the kastellet gate!
it was a nice area, but it really didn't touched me so. perhaps, ive already saw a great masterpiece in a single print of time in sweden that i am not impressed anymore.

so anyway we continued to walk, the only thing so far the impressed me was that klaus told me that still some old danes dislike germany and the germans because they invaded denmark in world war 2 just to have slaves working to feed for them and provide milk and potatoes. hahaha good thing klaus and me had a good sense of humor handling that one.

after that strange tour in kastellet, klaus led me to a very intresting part of copenhagen, much more interesting than the little mermaid, because it is overshadoewed obviously by the little mermaid, it was in a small park called gefionspringvandet, and in there is a fountain with a magnificent copper statue of gefjun.
a moat circles the kastellet.
klaus told me that the goddess gefjun in the norse mythology was the one who separated denmark from sweden, thus creating the öresund straight! this is getting better and better!

then we walked to the den lille havfrue or which is commonly known as the little mermaid.

the only thing that came out from my mouth and said to klaus, is that it?! klaus couldn't help but laugh and he said thats it! hahaha.

the statue, is so small and located in the smelly part of copenhagen, in the horizon which was only a few hundred meters is some sort of waste dump for which is actually the harbor and the electricity company? i dont know, you can see big and tall chimneys from the distance spewing thick smoke.

i felt sad for the little mermaid. in the fairytale, it is a story of love and despair with a sad ending, and they brought it to life by building a monument, and still it looked imprisoned, in my opinion, it should be built in an open area where she can see the endless horizon and for a change be free and live as what she is.
a church inside the kastellet.

it was practically IMPOSSIBLE to take a picture of the mermaid withouth any tourists or if, then there would be heads in the pictures, so before klaus could say a word, i went down to the rocks, i only had my chuck taylors on, so im also doubling my feet as grips. im used to these because as i child i love to climb trees and mostly i fell with a thud on the ground, as this was case in the sharp and slippery rocks, in a split second, i fell knee deep in the cold sea.

hahahahaha, i swear it was more of the shock of the people - ALL THE PEOPLE that made me laugh instead of me falling into the sea, and what made me laugh the most was the face of klaus, his mouth and eyes were wide open and he was speechless. but the most embarassing thing was, that klaus is a nurse, so tended to me like florence nightingale while all the people are looking at me, i mean im all right, i was unscathed, but klaus wanted to carry me and go to the infirmary of kastellet.
hahahahaha.

but now my laughter is finally fading as i see people really looking at us, and i heard some german tourists saying how stupid i was. well i was! hahha.

then i said to klaus we better go and i am alright, except for my butt which is in a bit of pain because i landed on a sharp rock.

then we went along the promenade which is called larsens plads to amalienborg palace, which is the residence of the royal family. the problem was, the promenade was a long walk, and it was windy and chilly, my pants were wet and i can feel the cold sliding in.

i told klaus that our trip is about to end, because i need to go home and change, but he wouldnt hear and and said it was his reponsibility to tell me not to jump on the rocks, so he invited me to have a dinner and i said well, yes of course ^_^ as i got hungry from that misadventure.
this was where i exactly fell.

so we kept walking and walking until we came to the opera and i gasped because i told him, i was so stupid not to know copenhagen as i stay just behind the opera in nyhavn! hahahaha

to be able to get to his favorite restaurant, it was in the district called amager in copenhagen, we rode the subway, which was amazing! its like an alien ship! hahahaha the subway station is also very alienlike! blue lights white lights - the works!
lauro says:
hehehehe betty! :D sure! maybe we can roadtrip somwhere :P i have lots of misadventures! polizei kontrolliert, athen flughafen, in griechenland, österreich name it you got it! :D
Posted on: Oct 29, 2007
dahling says:
hihihi - what does that say in your profile about misadventures`??? We should travel together, I bet it would be hilarious. I managed to miss my exit today again, but not as bad as yesterday. It would be nice to go with somebody where those stupid things do not happen only to me... hahaha
Posted on: Oct 28, 2007
azzurri says:
yeah I heard someone cut off the head a few years back :( buti na lang nung pumunta kami intact yung statue...at least you gave the tourists there a funny story to tell their friends ;P haha
Posted on: Oct 26, 2007
this was where i exactly fell.
taking pictures from the rocks.
taking pictures from the rocks.
damn mermaid :D
damn mermaid :D
the queens private docking.
the queen's private docking.
the opera of copenhagen.
the opera of copenhagen.
amalienborg with the marmorkirkken.
amalienborg with the marmorkirkken.
amalienborg grounds!
amalienborg grounds!
the goddess gefjun.
the goddess gefjun.
the goddess gefjun that separated …
the goddess gefjun that separated…
copenhagen opera, vanessas flat i…
copenhagen opera, vanessa's flat …
Copenhagen