Skittlin' out the shell, Red Lobster!
Tuscaloosa Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
All of that is neither here nor there. The facts are these:
1. I have been to exactly five cities in the US that are not considered part of The South. Three of those happened in the last 12 months. One of them happened without my parents' knowledge, which is an incredibly humorous affair ;) New York Washington DC Chicago Denver San Francisco.
2. Of the places I have traveled south of the Mason-Dixon, four of them (and four only) are not within the immediate vicinity of my main stomping ground, Birmingham, AL. By this, I mean that only four of them are outside a radius of four hours from my childhood home (and, yes, here in The South, we measure things by time, not distance). The last two of 'em are podunkvilles, but both very amicable memories. Myrtle Beach Orlando Asheville (NC) Russelville (KY)
3. Within my four hour radius, I've seen most of the major highlights, even if only in passing. I was born in Atlanta, GA, and spent a lot of my youth shuttling back and forth between it (honestly, ATL was the only place to go clothes shopping!). Most of our cheerleading competitions from back in the day happened in rural AL cities and in Nashville, TN. Most of my outdoor adventures with the COGs of Birmingham, AL, occurred in the backwoods of AL, in Chattanooga, TN, or in my very own backyard: at Camp Coleman in Trussville, AL.
4. In 2006, I am going to Louisville, KY for a conference of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. July. San Francisco, CA for a conference of the American Society for Cell Biology, where I will present my PD research. December. And one TBA destination for which I have free airline tickets, yay! Also probably in December.
5. During the first two weeks of August, something fantastic is going to go down. Unfortunately, it involves a surprise for someone, so I cannot so cavalierly post such information. Nonetheless, traveling will happen and mucho fun will be had.
So that's enough for now. Goals this year? Get out of The South... FAST.