EIGHT hours to ESPAGNE!

Sevilla Travel Blog

Josh and I are soooo tired
I made us get up a LITTLE early this morning so I could take Josh to have a traditional english breakfast at that Pelican Cafe (or something like that) in Oakwood. Mmmm. It’s growing on me. Josh did agree that it’s much greasier and generally unhealthy than California food.

After some brief packing for a wonderful week in Southern Spain, Josh and I jumped on the tube to meet a bus at Liverpool St. (again) to get us to Standsted Airport (North of the city). I do recommend Terravision buses as a “I took  Ryanair/Easyjet and now I need to get to the far away airport” function, EXCEPT on this day. The guy driving the bus was CRAZY. He didn’t know WHAT he was doing. We left Liverpool Street at the time we were meant to, and then he drove around London for about half an hour, and then we ended up back at Liverpool Street.
Our room in the super nice hostel
I was pretty concerned, as we had a flight to make. Some lady sitting in the front got really mad, and tried to ask the driver what we were doing, but he told her he didn’t speak English. Ha. Wow. It was pretty ridiculous. FINALLY we got on the road for REAL, and we got to Stansted about half an hour after I’d meticulously planned for us to get there. THEN we couldn’t find our check-in counter because Ryanair was all over the place and our counter was in the back counter, unmarked... GAH. Fortunately we made the flight alright. I tried to do essays for class while on the plane while Josh tried to brush up on his Spanish, but I got tired and took a pretend nap.

We arrived in Spain in the evening. The night air was warm and smelled good, and reminded me of flying into Orange County after staying at home for a while.
Cathedral of Seville at night
After all my travels it finally felt like I was really going on vacation. We needed to take a bus out of the airport, got on a bus that we THOUGHT was right... it ended up being the only bus out of there... The only way we really knew was because there were SOOOO many Americans/Canadians/Brits around trying to figure out how to get out of the airport as well. We got off the bus at the train station because I noticed that some other people on the bus were looking for the same hostel as us (gotta keep an eye out for that stuff). So, we made friends with this Canadian couple, talked to them about their travels, and we made some conjectures about where to go. We were all really confused and finally we asked someone with our collective broken Spanish, but people kept telling us the wrong place to. I knew we were supposed to take another bus after that, but none of us were sure where to catch it. We kept walking up and down the same street with our giant suitcases and backpacks. Meanwhile there was this random street fair going on across the street from the train station that looked super fun. There was music and dancing, and... oh man, it looked so fun, and I so would have gone and checked it out if we weren’t so ridiculously lost. As the four of us were walking in the wrong direction, and then realized that the bus approaching back up the street was the bus we needed to be on, and sprinted with our bags up the hill to catch it.

We hung out on the second bus for a while, trying to catch glimpses of Seville, out the windows. The bus route ended and we were forced to get off. Fortunately, this was where we were supposed to get off anyway. We continued to be super lost trying to find the hostel itself. What a nightmare. Fortunately some Americans walking by us saw that we were confused and asked us if we were looking for Oasis Backpackers’ Hostel on Plaza Encarnacion (at least other people had been as confused as we were!) and pointed us in the right direction.

When we FIIIIIINALLY arrived at the hostel, after crawling around random corners of the Spanish streets, I was extremely impressed. Even though it was terribly difficult to find, the hostel itself was more like a resort than a hostel. Marble everywhere... fancy lighting, nice leather seats in the lobby with a fish tank and FREE internet use... SO nice. As we were checking in, I was talking to the guy who worked there, because his English had more of a French accent than a Spanish one. He told me he was from Switzerland and I proceeded to somehow impress him with my scrambled French as I asked where our room was.

After throwing our stuff in our room we THEN went for a well-deserved dinner... walked around behind the hostel in the windy streets, found a crowded restaurant in an area recommended by the Swiss desk dude and got dinner. I believe we got a beef dish and an appetiser, but my memory of that night is more overwhelmed by the atmosphere than that of the food (which is unusual for me, being such a foodie, but most Spanish food, in my opinion, isn’t anything to write home about). I do remember getting a small bottle of water, and the free olives and bread that they gave us (because they are always giving you free stuff when you get food... don’t know why... cultural thing...). It was great to see so many people out enjoying the evening. We stayed for a really long time talking and relaxing until it seemed everyone had gone.

I wanted to see some of the city since we had been so rushed all night, so we went for a walk and found some cathedrals and other beautiful buildings that were all beautifully lit. There seemed to be this wonderfully odd yellow glow in the city, even in the dark. One of my favorite memories of this trip was walking around the twists and turns of the Seville streets at night. The colorful residential buildings are quite tall, and the streets dividing them are very narrow, so it feels like a giant maze.

Then we went to our room, made a plan for the next day, and went to bed. Josh snores really loud, so I made him sleep on the other side of the room. Yes, I had brought earplugs, but after such a crazy day, and expectations of an equally crazy day to follow, I needed all the sleep I could get.

Sevilla